Welcome to the zigbeenuthouse!!! Our discussion board has topics on ALL Sports and teams from college to pros, Reds, Buckeyes, Bengals, Browns, Food, US politics, religion, news, AND MORE! You MUST register with an acct. to post here. The access to read as non member is open. Please register and gain an acct. with user name to post and ENJOY this site. (June 11, 2019)

Quote of the day: People do not care until they learn how much you do. (April 03, 2020)

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
unc4cornersOnce saved always saved
Can you be saved and yet not have salvation?
This parallels the story of Moses I'm told.  The Israelites were saved from pharaoh but many of them never made it to the promised land (salvation).
Any thoughts on this?
Salvation for humanity occurred 2000 years ago at the cross. However that salvation, justification through faith, is applied individually through the means of grace, Word and Sacraments. 
"Hightop can reduce an entire message board of men to mudsharks. It's actually pretty funny to watch."

(11-30-2021, 08:15 PM)unc4corners Wrote: Can you be saved and yet not have salvation?
This parallels the story of Moses I'm told.  The Israelites were saved from pharaoh but many of them never made it to the promised land (salvation).
Any thoughts on this?

Egypt was a symbol of the world system. Pharaoh a symbol of the anti Christ. So they were delivered but never made it to what would be Israel. If anything this shows not every one makes it after being delivered. So IMO there is no once saved always saved for more reasons than this.
IMHO there is no Once Saved Always Saved. We're humans, we can stray from the path. That said, we can get back on the path.
"Don't, I say don't bother me dog, can't ya see I'm thinkin'?"   Foghorn Leghorn
(11-30-2021, 08:15 PM)unc4corners Wrote: Can you be saved and yet not have salvation?
Any thoughts on this?

I have no idea.  My belief is that one will be saved if they believe in Christ and don't engage in a life of egregious sin.
Anti-individualistic, the Fascist conception of life stresses the importance of the State and accepts the individual only in so far as his interests coincide with those of the State...

- Benito Mussolini
Here's another point to ponder, how does anyone know they are truly saved? You have not yet been judged. So, the reality is that you are always going to be tested in regard to your affirmation of faith up until the moment you die.
"Don't, I say don't bother me dog, can't ya see I'm thinkin'?"   Foghorn Leghorn
(12-01-2021, 03:34 AM)ChinaBuck Wrote: Here's another point to ponder, how does anyone know they are truly saved? You have not yet been judged. So, the reality is that you are always going to be tested in regard to your affirmation of faith up until the moment you die.

I'm not counting my chickens.  I frequently pray to Jesus to forgive me for my many sins and weaknesses and to "fix" me and take me to be in Heaven when I die.
Anti-individualistic, the Fascist conception of life stresses the importance of the State and accepts the individual only in so far as his interests coincide with those of the State...

- Benito Mussolini
(12-01-2021, 03:34 AM)ChinaBuck Wrote: Here's another point to ponder, how does anyone know they are truly saved? You have not yet been judged. So, the reality is that you are always going to be tested in regard to your affirmation of faith up until the moment you die.
Romans is a great treatise on the general subject of salvation and the role that the OT covenant played and how Christ was the fulfillment...

Romans 8
15For you did not receive a spirit of slavery that returns you to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship, by whom we cry, “Abba! Father!” 16The Spirit Himself testifies with our [/url][url=https://biblehub.com/greek/4151.htm]spirit that we are Godâ€s children. 17And if we are children, then we are heirs: heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ—if indeed we suffer with Him, so that we may also be glorified with Him.…

No longer GroupThink 'woke'.  but it was fun while it lasted.
One other thought on the general idea that once I am justified I can no longer 'sin away my grace'. There are examples in the Bible that deny that belief.

Judas. Judas went out and preached the Gospel. He worked miracles in Jesus' name, he obviously had God's blessing on him. Yet, he chose mammon over God and apostasized.

Demas. A preacher with Paul. The NT in 3-5 verses illustrates him that he was justified, yet ultimately 'left his first love because he loved this world'.

"Once saved, always saved" is only a valid concept from God's perspective.  Human's should never approach their reconciliation with God in such a manner. 

The Luther Confessions define who is the worthy communicant when approaching the Lord's Supper. 

For Christians who are of weak faith, diffident, troubled, and heartily terrified because of the greatness and number of their sins, and think that in this their great impurity they are not worthy of this precious treasure and the benefits of Christ, and who feel and lament their weakness of faith, and from their hearts desire that they may serve God with stronger, more joyful faith and pure obedience, they are the truly worthy guests for whom this highly venerable Sacrament [and sacred feast] has been especially instituted and appointed; 70] as Christ says, Matt. 11, 28: Come unto Me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Also Matt. 9, 12: They that be whole need not a physician, but they that be sick.
"Hightop can reduce an entire message board of men to mudsharks. It's actually pretty funny to watch."

I believe our walk with Christ affirms our salvation. The conviction of Holy Spirit when we screw up that leads to repentance does as well. Iâ€m not saying itâ€s works driven, but the daily walk and enjoying the presence and nearness of God in our lives. However, we need to be aware that we need to walk our salvation with fear and trembling lest we deceive ourselves and stray away.
James 2

14 What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him? 15 If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, 16 and one of you says to them, “Depart in peace, be warmed and filled,” but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit? 17 Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.

(12-01-2021, 11:54 AM)Alabuckeye Wrote: One other thought on the general idea that once I am justified I can no longer 'sin away my grace'.  There are examples in the Bible that deny that belief.

Judas.  Judas went out and preached the Gospel.  He worked miracles in Jesus' name, he obviously had God's blessing on him.  Yet, he chose mammon over God and apostasized.

Demas.  A preacher with Paul.  The NT in 3-5 verses illustrates him that he was justified, yet ultimately 'left his first love because he loved this world'.

This verse alone destroys once saved always saved…

“Now the Spirit expressly says that in latter times some will depart from the faith, giving heed to deceiving spirits and doctrines of demons,”
‭‭I Timothy‬ ‭4:1‬ ‭NKJV
(12-01-2021, 11:54 AM)Alabuckeye Wrote: One other thought on the general idea that once I am justified I can no longer 'sin away my grace'.  There are examples in the Bible that deny that belief.

Judas.  Judas went out and preached the Gospel.  He worked miracles in Jesus' name, he obviously had God's blessing on him.  Yet, he chose mammon over God and apostasized.

Demas.  A preacher with Paul.  The NT in 3-5 verses illustrates him that he was justified, yet ultimately 'left his first love because he loved this world'.

This verse alone destroys once saved always saved…

“Now the Spirit expressly says that in latter times some will depart from the faith, giving heed to deceiving spirits and doctrines of demons,”
‭‭I Timothy‬ ‭4:1‬ ‭NKJV
Is it possible that, ultimately, Judas was forgiven and is with Christ now?

- Benito Mussolini

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Romans 5:18 (all people saved?) K9Buck 4 213 07-10-2022, 08:40 PM
Last Post: P1tchblack
  Will any unbelievers be saved at the Great White Throne Judgment? K9Buck 3 285 02-20-2022, 06:43 PM
Last Post: Orbit1