Welcome to the zigbeenuthouse!!! Our discussion board has topics on ALL Sports and teams from college to pros, Reds, Buckeyes, Bengals, Browns, Food, US politics, religion, news, AND MORE! You MUST register with an acct. to post here. The access to read as non member is open. Please register and gain an acct. with user name to post and ENJOY this site. (June 11, 2019)

Quote of the day: People do not care until they learn how much you do. (April 03, 2020)

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ScarletHayesWe all knew about Ali's condition.
I never knew this about Quarry.  He was 50 years old in this story.  Not 70 or 80, but FIFTY.  

In the Army there is a thing called special duty. Drive for a General, lifeguard, etc. I was on the All Military softball team and I roomed with a guy who was on the All Army boxing team. He boxed inside and out of the military vs golden gloves, etc. He boxed a dude named Mike Tyson. He came back messed up. He was never the same. I think it was called 'punch drunk' back then. He was in his late 20's and had the same look and motions of Quarry.
The America, and the American Military, that you once knew is gone.
There is always a cost to any action. I wonder these days what Mike Tyson is like.
(04-02-2019, 09:16 AM)Alabuckeye Wrote: There is always a cost to any action.  I wonder these days what Mike Tyson is like.

Mike is surprisingly intelligent and insightful as a speaker,imo. I saw him co-hosting on a TV special a year or two ago "Amazing Brains" or something like that-people had amazing memory/recognition feats-and was really funny/on the ball.  Maybe all the drugs he did helped w/ the head blows.
The most boxing I've ever watched was in the early stages of Mike Tyson's pinnacle. What struck me about him was his pure rage and sheer 'bull in a china shop' approach to the match. He came exploding out of his corner and would just bludgeon until someone fell down.

Wondering if that approach kept him from getting the head shots that so many other boxers got. IDK
Not worth it.   That is a sad video scarlet.

Got a buddy who started as a sophomore for Woody Hayes in mid 70s at LB, was a captain, led team in tackles and was leader in team history in tackles up to a few years ago.  Played with Archie and that bunch in Rose, Orange, and Sugar bowl.  Today he has had knees replaced and hip and other things along with water on the brain.   Has a tube running from his brain to his stomach.   We sure played a lot of basketball together over the years and I've known him since 1973. His dad was superintendent at school I work in years ago.  Really good guy.  I asked him if he'd do it all over again when I see him in the gym and he says yes, he would.   We are only one year apart in age and he can walk and ride the bike but really gets tired and sits down.  I can run and do so much more due to me not getting beat up for years and years.  Oh, well.  He had the glory and I had the seat in front of the TV.
Make America Honest Again
It's a variation of CTE called Dementia pugilistica. Really the same thing. It was just more recognized in boxers for years before they realized it was fairly common in other sports. Probably because it was more common and more severe in boxers. And the cause was more obvious.
I remember reading about Quarry back in the 90s. He was barely 50 and he couldn't feed or dress himself. Sad.
(04-02-2019, 09:41 AM)Alabuckeye Wrote: The most boxing I've ever watched was in the early stages of Mike Tyson's pinnacle.  What struck me about him was his pure rage and sheer 'bull in a china shop' approach to the match.  He came exploding out of his corner and would just bludgeon until someone fell down.

Wondering if that approach kept him from getting the head shots that so many other boxers got.  IDK

Good point-I would imagine so -no wear and tear knocking other dudes out.
Can you believe that he had his last fight just 2 1/2 years before this film? At age 47 1/2. Dead at age 53 or so. He only made $2 million in 66 professional fights. Sad, sad story. He seemed like a nice guy.
DANGEROUS WHEN PROVOKED
Watched many many of his fights was fearless in the ring but took awful beatings. He also bled a lot . was always cut it seemed at some point.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Canada is more totalitarian than I knew K9Buck 31 395 01-14-2024, 10:04 PM
Last Post: K9Buck
  Endometriosis is "not a gynecological condition" ChinaBuck 10 201 11-16-2023, 03:55 PM
Last Post: wydileie
  I knew it, it was the white German Shepherd that hurt the little dog K9Buck 3 122 08-09-2023, 06:19 AM
Last Post: ChinaBuck
  Paul Sperry reporting - Trump set-up, who knew Bucktastic1 1 105 11-08-2022, 02:56 PM
Last Post: TcSoup
  Who knew calling someone a MF'er was racist Bucktastic1 3 227 04-14-2022, 09:28 AM
Last Post: unc4corners
  DARPA documents show they knew there were curatives in April, 2020 computerbuck 7 582 03-14-2022, 08:06 PM
Last Post: 3rdgensooner
  They knew from the beginning that masks don’t work and Ivermectin does computerbuck 27 1,943 01-12-2022, 04:19 AM
  So now that it’s settled that a condition for employment... ScarletHayes 13 540 10-09-2021, 08:48 AM
  Is there a named psychological affliction/condition for... ScarletHayes 16 1,330 02-12-2021, 09:52 PM
Last Post: ChinaBuck
  To all the posters I knew before. ScarletHayes 172 41,269 12-03-2020, 09:34 PM
Last Post: Blinky