Welcome to the zigbeenuthouse!!! Our discussion board has topics on ALL Sports and teams from college to pros, Reds, Buckeyes, Bengals, Browns, Food, US politics, religion, news, AND MORE! You MUST register with an acct. to post here. The access to read as non member is open. Please register and gain an acct. with user name to post and ENJOY this site. (June 11, 2019)

Quote of the day: Your life doesn't get better by chance. It gets better by change. (April 03, 2020)

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
In the land of the free....
Lawsuit: Man suffered 'great harm' after wrongful arrest based on Detroit's facial recognition technology

Detroit — Attorneys representing a Farmington Hills man filed a federal lawsuit Tuesday seeking undisclosed damages from the city, its police chief and a Detroit police detective for "the grave harm caused by the misuse of, and reliance upon, facial recognition technology."

The 75-page suit was filed on behalf of Robert Williams in U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan by the University of Michigan Law Schoolâ€s Civil Rights Litigation Initiative, the American Civil Liberties Union and the ACLU of Michigan.

An ACLU press release Tuesday claimed: "Mr. Williams†experience was the first case of wrongful arrest due to facial recognition technology to come to light in the United States."

Williams' case attracted national attention when it was first made public last year, and it's served as a rallying cry for critics of facial recognition technology, who point to studies suggesting the software systems return an inordinate number of false hits against Black people. Williams is Black.

"I came home from work and was arrested in my driveway in front of my wife and daughters, who watched in tears, because a computer made an error,” Williams said in a written statement. “This never should have happened, and I want to make sure that this painful experience never happens to anyone else.”

Detroit's Corporation Counsel Lawrence Garcia said in a statement Tuesday: "The arrest took place before the pandemic, and in the time since, the Detroit Police Department has conducted an internal investigation and has sustained misconduct charges relative to several members of the department.

More:
https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/l...203369002/
NYPD confiscates scary T-shirt gun mounted to rapperâ€s Hummer

Maybe heâ€s humming a different tune now.

A rapper and fashion mogul out of Philly found out the streets of New York are no place for a Hummer with a roof-mounted long gun — even if itâ€s just an air rifle that shoots promo T-shirts.

Christopher Stoney, 41, was driving his 2006 Hummer along 9th Avenue near West 34th Street in Manhattan Saturday afternoon when the vehicleâ€s massive, four-foot-long air rifle somehow caught the eye of cops.

[Image: 041721Hummer1wf.jpg?quality=80&strip=all...820&crop=1]

The officers also took note of the designs plastered on the side of the military-green vehicle: a trio of yellow bullets and the words “Warchyld” and “Wardrobe.”

https://nypost.com/2021/04/17/nypd-confi...rs-hummer/
OP should love this, because he fully supported the swamp over the last 5 years.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Phoenix Police Seized $40K From Him at the Airport, but Never Charged Him With a Crime

Arizona passed a law raising the standard of evidence for asset forfeiture. That didn't help Jerry Johnson when Phoenix police seized his cash.

A North Carolina man is fighting to get back $39,500 in cash after police in Phoenix, Arizona, seized the money from him at an airport on suspicion that it was drug money, despite never charging him with a crime.

The Institute for Justice, a libertarian-leaning public interest law firm, filed an appeal Monday in the Arizona Court of Appeals on behalf of Jerry Johnson. Johnson owns a trucking company and says he flew to Phoenix last August to possibly purchase a semi-truck at auction.

"I flew to Phoenix thinking I could get a good deal on a truck that would allow me to expand my business," Johnson said in an Institute for Justice press release. "But instead, the police took my money without ever charging me with a crime. It's been a struggle to lose my savings, and now my business is barely getting by. I'm fighting for my money, but I'm also fighting because this should never happen to anyone else."

More:
https://reason.com/2021/04/14/phoenix-po...h-a-crime/
We're definitely a LONG way from being the "land of the free".
Anti-individualistic, the Fascist conception of life stresses the importance of the State and accepts the individual only in so far as his interests coincide with those of the State...

- Benito Mussolini

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Free the Nipple zigbee 3 69 03-25-2024, 07:04 PM
Last Post: dunefan
  BG/BM7 living rent free in the NH. ScarletHayes 9 139 01-05-2024, 12:22 PM
Last Post: Alabuckeye
  Southwest Airlines policy gives plus-sized customers up to two additional seats free maize 20 305 12-15-2023, 01:55 PM
Last Post: dunefan
  America: The land of over correction ScarletHayes 10 242 10-23-2023, 01:48 PM
Last Post: maize
  Free speech or a crime? P1tchblack 9 193 10-19-2023, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Hightop77
  Free Solo TakeThePoints 14 205 07-31-2023, 01:32 AM
Last Post: ChinaBuck
  Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free P1tchblack 8 176 07-22-2023, 11:01 PM
Last Post: zigbee
  UN Human Rights council demands death of free speech ChinaBuck 1 68 07-22-2023, 09:26 AM
Last Post: 3rdgensooner
  LA LA Land wants schools to use books from sexual deviant named Milk zigbee 4 107 07-21-2023, 08:49 PM
Last Post: TroyKidd
  Is The Donald getting a free pass from the DOJ? P1tchblack 7 200 05-18-2023, 10:38 AM
Last Post: TroyKidd