Welcome to the zigbeenuthouse!!! Our discussion board has topics on ALL Sports and teams from college to pros, Reds, Buckeyes, Bengals, Browns, Food, US politics, religion, news, AND MORE! You MUST register with an acct. to post here. The access to read as non member is open. Please register and gain an acct. with user name to post and ENJOY this site. (June 11, 2019)

Quote of the day: Your life doesn't get better by chance. It gets better by change. (April 03, 2020)

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3rdgensoonerInfluenza vaccine
So we are all probably aware flu vaccines tend to be marginally effective. What strains may be circulating or worrisome are selected via a system that is an educated guess. Then the virus has to be cultured and grown and then treated to make vaccines. That takes time. So the new mRNA technology is being looked at for new influenza vaccines. It's hopeful they'll be more effective. But another advantage is they can be quickly designed. No growth is required. So you can wait and see and start the process later when you have an even better idea of what will be circulating. The big issue is the frozen storage of course but they are working on that too. Moderna has now released Phase 1 results on a couple of influenza A strains. It looks really effective. A new strain of flu could be the next pandemic. And at any rate it's a huge problem anyway. 80K died in the 2017-18 flu season for instance. Most of that over a few months that really stressed hospital systems. 
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjY9dKmlfXvAhWUJTQIHbrtBHIQFjAAegQIBBAD&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.biospace.com%2Farticle%2Fmoderna-releases-phase-i-data-from-2-influenza-trials%2F&usg=AOvVaw0q4ltHiN-Uwj0Z4xrhlRgh
This is really good news, so something good is going to come out of the COVID pandemic, the proverbial silver lining we hope.

By the way, to other folks, in the main vaccine thread, I posted an article yesterday that gives a layman's description of the mRNA process.
"Don't, I say don't bother me dog, can't ya see I'm thinkin'?"   Foghorn Leghorn
The copied section from the article you posted has me the most worried, far greater than COVID-19, MERS, Marburg or Ebola.

"...in collaboration with the Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania; maple syrup urine disease (MSUD), also in collaboration with Penn;"

Now this is terrifying news. I love me some maple syrup. Mmmmmmm
"Don't, I say don't bother me dog, can't ya see I'm thinkin'?"   Foghorn Leghorn
I am so pissed off at Minnesota vaccine qualifications. It went from 65 years of age to 16 and now at the age of 57 I can not get an appointment also due to my surgery(hip replacement) put me off a bit. WTF why not 50 and up for 2 weeks?????? Every place I call is out of vaccines!!!
(04-10-2021, 10:31 PM)Bonebuck Wrote: I am so pissed off at Minnesota vaccine qualifications. It went from 65 years of age to 16 and now at the age of 57 I can not get an appointment also due to my surgery(hip replacement) put me off a bit. WTF why not 50 and up for 2 weeks?????? Every place I call is out of vaccines!!!
They want more demand than supply so absolutely every appointment is filled and the vaccines go out as fast as possible and no doses are wasted. It's a problem as there are still some older people who want the vaccine and can't get scheduled. But we are fast approaching where supply will begin to exceed demand. There seems to be about 20-30% holding out. Hopefully we'll eventually get about half of those eventually. The hard core antivaxxetards are mostly a lost cause though. Just keep trying to schedule eventually you'll get an appointment if you persist.
I canâ€t remember who it was, but I saw one of the researchers for one of the major firms that developed an mRNA Covid vaccine saying they believe they can use this technology to create cancer vaccines. I believe they said one is already in trials for some severe form of brain cancer. Cool stuff.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28101688/

Between mRNA and CRISPR advancements, will we see the end to cancer and possibly even aging in our lifetime?
(04-10-2021, 11:58 PM)wydileie Wrote: I canâ€t remember who it was, but I saw one of the researchers for one of the major firms that developed an mRNA Covid vaccine saying they believe they can use this technology to create cancer vaccines. I believe they said one is already in trials for some severe form of brain cancer. Cool stuff.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28101688/

Between mRNA and CRISPR advancements, will we see the end to cancer and possibly even aging in our lifetime?
I saw something this too about 3 or 4 weeks ago. I also seem to remember 3GS posting about this as well. Immunotherapy is the hot topic in cancer care right now, I really hope they can make something happen here. Nothing tears me up more than walking through a kids cancer center.

As to anti-aging, it will be huge boost to the both the cosmetic beauty industry (the one thing bigger than the military-industrial complex) and to the treatment of chronic and congenital diseases.
Hey 3rd, did the social-distancing and mask mandates eliminate this year's flu season?
Anti-individualistic, the Fascist conception of life stresses the importance of the State and accepts the individual only in so far as his interests coincide with those of the State...

- Benito Mussolini
(04-11-2021, 07:08 AM)K9Buck Wrote: Hey 3rd, did the social-distancing and mask mandates eliminate this year's flu season?
That plus no events , school closures, and the fact sick people were far less likely to go to work or out at all. All of the above. 
I saw an article in medical news where some guy was proposing we take all these measures every flu season. Yeah I think weâ€ll take a hard pass on that. Itâ€d be nice if sick people would stay home though.
(04-11-2021, 08:57 AM)3rdgensooner Wrote:
(04-11-2021, 07:08 AM)K9Buck Wrote: Hey 3rd, did the social-distancing and mask mandates eliminate this year's flu season?
That plus no events , school closures, and the fact sick people were far less likely to go to work or out at all. All of the above. 
I saw an article in medical news where some guy was proposing we take all these measures every flu season. Yeah I think weâ€ll take a hard pass on that. Itâ€d be nice if sick people would stay home though.

It will be interesting to compare and contrast this year's flu "season" with next year's.
Anti-individualistic, the Fascist conception of life stresses the importance of the State and accepts the individual only in so far as his interests coincide with those of the State...

- Benito Mussolini
The one thing Iâ€ve never understood is this shift in the industry to PTO time instead of split sick time and vacation time. Also, positions that offer no such time at all. You are just encouraging people to go to work sick, making other people sick and losing productivity.

If there is one thing I absolutely agree with the EU about, it is their mandated vacation and sick time policies.
This is a little bit of a rabbit trail, but IM in a conservative area and Ive had several folks ask me why im getting the COVID vaccine, as if its some govt conspiracy or some such.

My reply: I gotten about 10 vaccines in my life, whats so bad about another? No one balks at the Polio vaccine, why this?"

I just don't get it I guess.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New coronavirus/vaccine discussion thread P1tchblack 2,850 77,430 5 hours ago
Last Post: ChinaBuck
  Vaccine Study - Alzheimer's Sanitarian2 14 203 10-16-2023, 03:31 PM
Last Post: Sanitarian2
  We Have a Vaccine UPDATE: POLL ADDED NOW!! 3rdgensooner 1,394 175,951 08-10-2023, 07:38 PM
Last Post: 3rdgensooner
  The Covid vaccine cultist nut cases are a parody at this point K9Buck 16 331 11-17-2022, 05:27 PM
  There'$ a rea$on that the CDC is pu$hing mandatory Covid vaccine$ for $chool children K9Buck 66 1,399 10-24-2022, 10:59 AM
Last Post: P1tchblack
  Monkeypox mandatory vaccine coming soon- Bonebuck 1 201 07-17-2022, 11:25 PM
Last Post: Blinky
  Pfizer Vaccine Far Less Effective In 5-11 Year-Olds, Latest Data Show computerbuck 4 313 03-01-2022, 11:45 AM
Last Post: Beastdog
  Pfizer COVID-19 Vaccine Associated With Increased Risk of Carditis computerbuck 4 433 02-09-2022, 07:25 PM
  Johns Hopkins Doc Says Natural Immunity 27 Times More Effective Than Vaccine computerbuck 51 1,656 02-06-2022, 09:10 AM
Last Post: davebucknut
  Breaking! Dr Zelenko Warns Of COVID Vaccine Mark of the Beast System computerbuck 11 778 12-24-2021, 07:20 PM
Last Post: stxbuck