Welcome to the zigbeenuthouse!!! Our discussion board has topics on ALL Sports and teams from college to pros, Reds, Buckeyes, Bengals, Browns, Food, US politics, religion, news, AND MORE! You MUST register with an acct. to post here. The access to read as non member is open. Please register and gain an acct. with user name to post and ENJOY this site. (June 11, 2019)

Quote of the day: People do not care until they learn how much you do. (April 03, 2020)

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reverse mortgages...any experiences or advice?
I am thinking a reverse mortgage should be a no brainer in wifey and my case.  Just started looking into it.  A friend took one out and is very happy with it.  As this forum is my go to source for news and information, I thought I would ask.
DANGEROUS WHEN PROVOKED
In my opinion, it is a less preferred option but circumstances could be such that it is an OK option for some. It depends on the numbers of course. You also should ensure to the extent possible your "lender" is financially viable long term.

It also depends on whether you want to leave the house in your estate of course, and whether you might at some point need to move into assisted living.

https://www.businessinsider.com/reverse-...dea-2018-4
I'm against all over generalizations.
(03-01-2021, 01:17 AM)TakeThePoints Wrote: I am thinking a reverse mortgage should be a no brainer in wifey and my case.  Just started looking into it.  A friend took one out and is very happy with it.  As this forum is my go to source for news and information, I thought I would ask.

We did something similar at one point, when my wife was in school and home values were very high.  When the market changed, the lender stopped payments and demanded we pay back a portion of the money between the value of our home and what was borrowed.
Hey, this isn't Tom Selleck's first rodeo.  Would he mislead you?  LOL

Seriously, if you need the money it works.  Your children will see less of an inheritance but you have to live.
I would use a line of credit on the house personally.
I see it as sort of a last resort for the elderly needing money toward the end of their life while still needing a place to live.  What are you using the money for?
"Hightop can reduce an entire message board of men to mudsharks. It's actually pretty funny to watch."

(03-01-2021, 08:54 AM)Hightop77 Wrote: I see it as sort of a last resort for the elderly needing money toward the end of their life while still needing a place to live.  What are you using the money for?
I'd agree with this.

Essentially you are selling off your 'estate' at a rate that is advantageous to a bank.

If you don't have heirs, if you don't care to leave to them, if it's necessary to live......then it's a viable option.

No longer GroupThink 'woke'.  but it was fun while it lasted.
Explore the option of taking out a normal mortgage and buying an annuity. The reverse mortgage is in effect an annuity. Unfortunately, nearly all annuities also come with high fees and charges, that is the GOTCHA in all of these.

If the annuity payment is more than the mortgage payment, that could be preferred, as the mortgage interest could be tax deductible.

I would read the fine print very carefully.
Annuities are another financial vehicle that are largely skewed to benefit the insurance companies that cover them. I did some research last year for my sister who was looking into one and they have a newish feature where they tie the annuity to the market and supposedly give you a floor/ceiling with 'greater returns'.

As with Whole Life Insurance, my motto is, I can't beat the actuaries. So I stay away from them.

No longer GroupThink 'woke'.  but it was fun while it lasted.
A reverse mortgage is basically an annuity. Fees on both are high. They make money on'em obviously.
According to Barron's 50 Best annuities for 2017, a 70-year old male who puts $200,000 into an immediate annuity that is “life only” may receive an annual income for life that pays out $1,297 to $1,247 a month.

I'm not recommending annuities either, but this is another option for income.
https://www.daveramsey.com/blog/how-reve...gages-work

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news.../index.htm

You donâ€t receive the full value of loan. The face amount will be slashed by higher-than-average closing costs, origination fees, upfront mortgage insurance, appraisal fees and servicing fees over the life of the mortgage. In addition, the interest rate you pay is generally higher than for a traditional mortgage.
"Hightop can reduce an entire message board of men to mudsharks. It's actually pretty funny to watch."

(03-01-2021, 10:26 AM)cincydawg Wrote: According to Barron's 50 Best annuities for 2017, a 70-year old male who puts $200,000 into an immediate annuity that is “life only” may receive an annual income for life that pays out $1,297 to $1,247 a month.

I'm not recommending annuities either, but this is another option for income.
Although fees are an issue unless you use 401K or IRA money to buy one most of the annuity payment will be untaxed as most of it is considered return of your principal. That's based on life expectancy. If you exceed that life expectancy though then it will all be subject to income tax. But the tax advantage should be factored in to the decision.
(03-01-2021, 08:54 AM)Hightop77 Wrote: I see it as sort of a last resort for the elderly needing money toward the end of their life while still needing a place to live.  What are you using the money for?
I don't need the money, I just would prefer not to pay the monthly house payment.  I have several other properties, but do not ever want to leave this home.  I understand that you still retain equity and are paying a certain percentage to the mort. co. which increases their balance over the years.  Could care less about leaving an inheritence.
The way I see it, nothing changes for  me except I get a good amount of cash and don't have to make any more mortgage payments.  What am I  missing?  Sounds too good to be true.
DANGEROUS WHEN PROVOKED
There is always a catch. Check the numbers and the fine print, read up on pros and cons on line, it could be a good option for you.

I personally wouldn't do it.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Near Death Experiences TakeThePoints 31 501 08-29-2023, 08:25 AM
Last Post: dkeener67
  Advice to Blacks by Blacks ChinaBuck 20 432 03-16-2023, 06:01 PM
Last Post: Soupcity Kid
Video Demonic experiences K9Buck 52 3,421 02-24-2022, 11:32 PM
Last Post: stxbuck
  Question/Advice needed from the board davebucknut 54 2,706 02-01-2022, 05:21 AM
Last Post: ChinaBuck
  Medical Advice Needed Beastdog 27 1,098 11-20-2021, 06:42 AM
Last Post: Beastdog
  Beginners advice- don't try and rob gun stores davebucknut 13 1,269 05-05-2021, 03:54 PM
Last Post: davebucknut
  Reverse eating CAM! Pretty Sweet zigbee 0 437 11-06-2019, 01:34 PM
Last Post: zigbee
  DID Our Magnetic Shield reverse causing 6.0 Earthquake computerbuck 1 492 07-02-2019, 06:28 AM
Last Post: cincydawg