Welcome to the zigbeenuthouse!!! Our discussion board has topics on ALL Sports and teams from college to pros, Reds, Buckeyes, Bengals, Browns, Food, US politics, religion, news, AND MORE! You MUST register with an acct. to post here. The access to read as non member is open. Please register and gain an acct. with user name to post and ENJOY this site. (June 11, 2019)

Quote of the day: A positive outlook is what leads to positive results.

WELCOME new member AMaizawing (April 03, 2020)

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
zigbee1984 in 2021 right before our eyes...Fahrenheit 454 too
A sustained effort is under way to deny children access to literature. Under the slogan #DisruptTexts, critical-theory ideologues, schoolteachers and Twitter agitators are purging and propagandizing against classic texts—everything from Homer to F. Scott Fitzgerald to Dr. Seuss.

Their ethos holds that children shouldnâ€t have to read stories written in anything other than the present-day vernacular—especially those "in which racism, sexism, ableism, anti-Semitism, and other forms of hate are the norm," as young-adult novelist Padma Venkatraman writes in School Library Journal. No author is valuable enough to spare, Ms. Venkatraman instructs: "Absolving Shakespeare of responsibility by mentioning that he lived at a time when hate-ridden sentiments prevailed, risks sending a subliminal message that academic excellence outweighs hateful rhetoric."

The subtle complexities of literature are being reduced to the crude clanking of "intersectional" power struggles. Thus Seattle English teacher Evin Shinn tweeted in 2018 that heâ€d "rather die" than teach "The Scarlet Letter," unless Nathaniel Hawthorneâ€s novel is used to "fight against misogyny and slut-shaming."

Outsiders got a glimpse of the intensity of the #DisruptTexts campaign recently when self-described "antiracist teacher" Lorena Germán complained that many classics were written more than 70 years ago: "Think of US society before then & the values that shaped this nation afterwards. THAT is what is in those books."

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/homer-ma...cox-gurdon
Make America Honest Again
Is that book not yet banned? I remember reading that and then watching the movie.
Liberals suck.
And the book burning has begun.
"Don't, I say don't bother me dog, can't ya see I'm thinkin'?"   Foghorn Leghorn
The problem with these authoritarian leftists begins with the word INTOLERANCE.   The past is the past and it has ZERO to do with what goes on today by reading books.  You can't wipe out the past here in the present through intolerance.  Freedom means ability to understand the past in the framing of HOW THINGS WERE in the past.   Imposing a type of censorship on today's ability to read past works doesn't change  anything in the least.
This has been going on for decades. Even nursery rhymes.
Curriculum is still a local and state level power/responsibility. Check your local curriculum and bring it up at the open part of the monthly board meeting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(12-28-2020, 08:45 PM)Georgem80 Wrote: Curriculum is still a local and state level power/responsibility.  Check your local curriculum and bring it up at the open part of the monthly board meeting. 

In some subjects, but not all.    You have to align with testing in math and science and language arts to meet state standards which are aligned to national ones for graduation.  If you are not a student with special needs as identified, and cannot pass end of course testing, you will not graduate with a diploma in Ohio.   I'm not familiar with other states but I'm pretty sure for a lot of funding to state dept of ed from fed dept of ed you have to have testing in place which aligns to standards set by dept of ed in DC.  There is plenty of testing for non special needs to get a HS diploma and it's aligned with DC guidelines and not of local control.
http://education.ohio.gov/Topics/Testing...ialStudies
(12-28-2020, 09:00 PM)zigbee Wrote:
(12-28-2020, 08:45 PM)Georgem80 Wrote: Curriculum is still a local and state level power/responsibility.  Check your local curriculum and bring it up at the open part of the monthly board meeting. 

In some subjects, but not all.    You have to align with testing in math and science and language arts to meet state standards which are aligned to national ones for graduation.  If you are not a student with special needs as identified, and cannot pass end of course testing, you will not graduate with a diploma in Ohio.   I'm not familiar with other states but I'm pretty sure for a lot of funding to state dept of ed from fed dept of ed you have to have testing in place which aligns to standards set by dept of ed in DC.  There is plenty of testing for non special needs to get a HS diploma and it's aligned with DC guidelines and not of local control.

But this is isnâ€t a movement originating in the DOE. This isnâ€t a national standard.

I follow ELA because I need the literature read to match my scope and sequence. English and Art are meant to support my teaching. My teaching provides context for their rhetorical analysis. Although, Scarlet Letter doesnâ€t support anything about Puritans, itâ€s commentary about the Victorians. So, we have removed it for a reading list of Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God and City on a Hill. We still require DOI, Frederick Douglas, and Gatsby. But, AP juniors arenâ€t required to read novels for their curriculum.

We make these decisions locally at the building level. Our design is sent to other buildings and strongly encouraged to be followed. But, each building can build their curriculum as they see fit to match State and CollegeBoard standards.

(12-28-2020, 10:10 PM)Georgem80 Wrote:

But this is isnâ€t a movement originating in the DOE. This isnâ€t a national standard. 

I follow ELA because I need the literature read to match my scope and sequence.  English and Art are meant to support my teaching. My teaching provides context for their rhetorical analysis. Although, Scarlet Letter doesnâ€t support anything about Puritans, itâ€s commentary about the Victorians. So, we have removed it for a reading list of Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God and City on a Hill.  We still require DOI, Frederick Douglas, and Gatsby.  But, AP juniors arenâ€t required to read novels for their curriculum.

We make these decisions locally at the building level. Our design is sent to other buildings and strongly encouraged to be followed.  But, each building can build their curriculum as they see fit to match State and CollegeBoard standards. 
you answer your own quesion.

Its sure is a national standard when state sets up testing which are aligned to what the Dept of Ed says must be covered in those subjects in order to pass EOC tests to graduate.   We have ALSO incorporated ACT scores to be used in lieu of testing as well which fit fed standards.  Local control is gone.
(12-28-2020, 10:18 PM)zigbee Wrote:
(12-28-2020, 10:10 PM)Georgem80 Wrote:

I follow ELA because I need the literature read to match my scope and sequence.  English and Art are meant to support my teaching. My teaching provides context for their rhetorical analysis. Although, Scarlet Letter doesnâ€t support anything about Puritans, itâ€s commentary about the Victorians. So, we have removed it for a reading list of Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God and City on a Hill.  We still require DOI, Frederick Douglas, and Gatsby.  But, AP juniors arenâ€t required to read novels for their curriculum.

We make these decisions locally at the building level. Our design is sent to other buildings and strongly encouraged to be followed.  But, each building can build their curriculum as they see fit to match State and CollegeBoard standards. 
you answer your own quesion.

Its sure is a national standard when state sets up testing which are aligned to what the Dept of Ed says must be covered in those subjects in order to pass EOC tests to graduate.   We have ALSO incorporated ACT scores to be used in lieu of testing as well which fit fed standards.  Local control is gone.

And this movement is coming from the DOE? Iâ€m saying this is a fizzle non issue. Loony birds making noise. It wonâ€t happen. Iâ€ve never seen a state test ask questions regarding novels. Now Iâ€ve only seen 14 or so stare tests. So I am limited.

Screw the school board. Get your kids out of public schools. Work 3 jobs if you have to but get them out.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Raising money for Taliban at Cal Berkeley (from 2021) K9Buck 1 84 08-20-2023, 08:32 PM
Last Post: ChinaBuck
  Shooting from 2021 in Columbus ER K9Buck 1 61 05-28-2023, 05:55 AM
Last Post: dunefan
  Buckeye Basketball 2021-22 zigbee 282 12,639 02-12-2023, 05:38 PM
Last Post: Sanitarian2
  Browns 2021-22 Thread zigbee 403 17,620 12-05-2022, 12:56 PM
Last Post: zigbee
  Your Lying Eyes TcSoup 3 174 08-07-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: davebucknut
  July 16, 2021 Arizona Election Update K9Buck 533 26,711 08-01-2022, 08:36 PM
Last Post: P1tchblack
  March 24, 1984 Georgem80 43 1,116 03-25-2022, 01:23 PM
Last Post: Orbit1
  BENGALS!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2021 thread zigbee 435 15,226 02-14-2022, 03:31 PM
  Georgia man is "DICK" of the year in 2021 zigbee 29 2,491 01-08-2022, 01:10 AM
Last Post: Blinky
  2021-22 Reds hot stove ScarletHayes 1 384 01-02-2022, 11:14 PM