Welcome to the zigbeenuthouse!!! Our discussion board has topics on ALL Sports and teams from college to pros, Reds, Buckeyes, Bengals, Browns, Food, US politics, religion, news, AND MORE! You MUST register with an acct. to post here. The access to read as non member is open. Please register and gain an acct. with user name to post and ENJOY this site. (June 11, 2019)

Quote of the day: A positive frame of mind goes long way to fruitful outcomes. (April 03, 2020)

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paula Dean on secrets to great Thanksgiving feast
Paula Deen reveals secrets to perfect Thanksgiving menu: Deep fried turkey, sweet potato pie and more
'I would season my turkey real good and put him in the refrigerator for at least 24 hours,' Deen says in new Fox Nation special

In a special Thanksgiving episode of Fox Nation's "At Home With Paula Deen," the celebrity chef and her sons reveal their foolproof method of deep frying the traditional turkey while whipping up some of their favorite family recipes.

Bringing viewers inside her famous Georgia kitchen -- "back where it all started" -- Deen reveals the tricks of the trade as she prepares her family's tried and true fried turkey, cornbread stuffing, root vegetables, broccoli casserole, sweet potato pie, and more.

Original Shows and Documentaries that Celebrate America every day.
Fox Nation is an entertaining streaming service featuring your favorite Fox News personalities, with original shows and documentaries that celebrate America.

Deen begins by massaging the turkey in a coat of oil before applying a thick coat of seasoning.

"When it comes to your turkeys, it's all about personal preference," she says. "Some people like to brown them, some people like to inject ... but I would season my turkey real good and put him in the refrigerator for at least 24 hours."

Celebrating Thanksgiving with Paula Deen!Video
Later, Deen and her son Michael place the bird in the electric turkey fryer, where it cooks for 41 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

"I think I'm gonna ask a strong man to help me with this one," Deen says as Michael lowers the bird into the sizzling deep fryer.

"Listen to that y'all, that's like listening to Mozart," she adds.

The trick to a perfect fried turkey is an electric turkey fryer, Deen reveals. "But," she warned, "you must not overfill it. that's the main thing."

In an appearance on "Fox & Friends" Monday, Deen shared her Thanksgiving corn casserole recipe with host and fellow culinarian Steve Doocy.

Deen's tips, Doocy said, will help viewers elevate their menu "to the next level."

THIS FOR MY BOY SOUPY:  I brought back fresh oysters and shucked them last week for our Thanksgiving day dressing and feast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Make America Honest Again
I figured it would include copious amounts of butter.

No longer GroupThink 'woke'.  but it was fun while it lasted.
(11-24-2020, 01:57 PM)Alabuckeye Wrote: I figured it would include copious amounts of butter.
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..............butter.....[Image: emoji506.png]  I be using some real butter in making oyster stew on Wednesday evening.....mmmm
Did she throw in a couple stock tips?
Plenty of first-time chefs will enter the kitchen on Thursday as coronavirus shifts around typical Thanksgiving traditions and celebrations, but that doesnâ€t mean it has to end in an injury-riddled disaster. Even if you consider yourself an expert chef, there are precautions you can consider to help keep you, and your loved ones, safe in the kitchen this holiday season.

Start out by familiarizing yourself with general safety guidelines regarding hot liquids, pots and pans. For instance, donâ€t place pots of hot food or liquid on the floor, especially if there are kids in the house, Dr. Nicole Bernal, medical director of burn services at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center.

She also advised against putting hot liquids near the edge of the table, or within reaching distance of toddlers and babies, as it can cause burns or serious injury.

“Water heated in a microwave can cause a third-degree burn after five seconds of exposure,” Bernal told Fox News. “Soups and gravy can cause a more severe burn when spilled because the food components hold in the heat and sit on the skin surface causing a deeper burn.”

To that end, pot and pan placement while cooking can also play a role in maintaining safety while in the kitchen.

Handling hot items like pans, or baking dishes should always be done while wearing protective gloves or mitts instead of a kitchen towel, Bernal said.
Handling hot items like pans, or baking dishes should always be done while wearing protective gloves or mitts instead of a kitchen towel, Bernal said. (iStock)

“Itâ€s important to remember to turn the long handles of pots and pans inward,” Bernal said. “When they hang off the edge, they can easily get hit or caught on clothing causing hot food to spill. Keep a large lid near the stove if cooking with oil. If there is a fire, put the lid on the pan to put out [the] fire quickly. Do not try to lift or move a pan of burning oil.”

CORONAVIRUS ALTERING THANKSGIVING TRADITIONS? TIPS ON HOW TO COPE

And for those choosing to deep fry their turkey this year, remember to put the fryer outside, and not in the garage or inside another part of the house, “and never ever put a frozen turkey in a deep fryer,” she said.

Handling hot items like pans or baking dishes should always be done while wearing protective gloves or mitts instead of a kitchen towel.

“Heat transfers through a towel easily and a loose towel can catch fire if it gets near a gas burner or oven coil,” Bernal said.

Opening an oven, too, should be done cautiously. It is important to make sure the area is clear of children, pets, or any other unsuspecting guests who may be injured while the oven door is open and unattended, she said.

VEL

And even with added measures, mistakes and accidents will happen in kitchens across the nation, but there are steps you can take to help mitigate the damage. Itâ€s also important to know what signs to look for should the burn need medical attention.

“If you get a burn, remove clothing and jewelry from the area and run under cool tap water for 5-10 minutes,” Bernal said. “Do not place in ice water or apply ice, this will decrease blood flow to the injured areas and can cause the burn to become third degree, which is the deepest type of burn. It also makes the burn more painful when the area is removed from the ice water and blood flow returns to the area.”

If the skin is simply red and painful without blisters, it is likely a first-degree burn and can be cared for with gauze and ibuprofen to reduce inflammation.

However, if the affected skin starts to peel or blister, the injury is either a second or third-degree burn and needs to be looked at by a physician, Bernal said. It is important to remove clothing and jewelry and run the area under cool water, but do not pop or remove the blister without first speaking to a physician, she said. At that point, a physician can instruct you on daily wound care to prevent infection.

“If areas of burned skin are blistering or peeling and [are] larger than the palm of your hand, call your physician to be evaluated,” she said. “If the burned area that is blistering or peeling is greater than four of your hands, then go to the emergency department. Cover the wound with a clean dressing and antibiotic ointment if you have [one] available. Do not put household items on the burns like mustard, egg white, toothpaste, or honey. This can make it difficult to examine the burn and can be very painful to wash off.”
Unless you prefer your turkey burnt to a crisp on the outside and frozen solid on the inside, you might want to think about thawing your bird sooner rather than later.

Every year, the experts on the receiving end of the Butterball Turkey Talk-Line help to guide Americaâ€s home cooks toward a successful Thanksgiving feast. However, as one can imagine, those experts often hear the same questions year after year.

“With Thanksgiving celebrations being smaller this year, weâ€re receiving lots of calls from first-time cooks asking for advice on how to cook your turkey and when [and] how it should be thawed,” Pam Barnes, a representative from the Talk-Line, told Fox News this week.

“Safely thawing your frozen turkey is one of the most important steps in preparing your Thanksgiving meal,” says Pam Barnes, an expert with the Butterball Turkey Talk-Line.
“Safely thawing your frozen turkey is one of the most important steps in preparing your Thanksgiving meal,” says Pam Barnes, an expert with the Butterball Turkey Talk-Line. (iStock)

Luckily, Barnes and her colleagues have answers to all of these questions, and more.

In fact, Barnes shared two different methods for thawing out a turkey — one which is a bit less labor-intensive, and another that might be a tad quicker, for those with less time. In either case, though, Barnes stresses that safety is the main priority.

“Safely thawing your frozen turkey is one of the most important steps in preparing your Thanksgiving meal,” she says. “While refrigerator thawing is preferred, and the least labor-intensive, it does require more time. On the other hand, cold-water thawing takes less time but requires more attention.”

No matter which method you choose, the Butterball expert says you should “never thaw a turkey at room temperature” and to instead buy a fresh turkey, if time is really that tight.

So, ready to thaw your bird? Barnes recommends the following methods:

Refrigerator Thawing

Thaw turkey breast side up, in an unopened wrapper on a tray in the fridge (40 degrees F or below).
Allow at least 1 day of thawing for every 4 lbs of turkey.
Keep turkey in original wrapper and place on tray.
Use turkey within 4 days after thawing.
Cold-Water Thawing

Thaw turkey breast side down, in an unopened wrapper, with enough cold water to cover your turkey completely.
Change water every 30 minutes and if turkey cannot be completely covered, rotate every 30 minutes to keep the turkey chilled.
Estimate a minimum thawing time of 30 minutes per pound of turkey.
Still need assistance with your Turkey Day preparations? No worries. Barnes and her team expect to answer at least 100,000 calls by the time Thanksgiving rolls around, and at least 15,000 on Thanksgiving alone.

One thing she canâ€t do, however, is point you in the direction of a tiny turkey.

“Weâ€re also getting lots of questions on what size turkey people should buy,” Barnes said. “Our advice is donâ€t be afraid to go big! Leftovers are one of the best parts of the meal and we have tons of delicious recipes.”
(11-24-2020, 01:57 PM)Alabuckeye Wrote: I figured it would include copious amounts of butter.

I assumed she only served white meat.
(11-24-2020, 02:12 PM)unc4corners Wrote: Did she throw in a couple stock tips?
You thinking of Snoop Dogs buddy Martha.? 

Dean lost her show for alleged racial slurs and trying to make one of her programs cook's dress like Aunt Jemima LOL
(11-24-2020, 01:43 PM)zigbee Wrote: Paula Deen reveals secrets to perfect Thanksgiving menu: Deep fried turkey, sweet potato pie and more
'I would season my turkey real good and put him in the refrigerator for at least 24 hours,' Deen says in new Fox Nation special

In a special Thanksgiving episode of Fox Nation's "At Home With Paula Deen," the celebrity chef and her sons reveal their foolproof method of deep frying the traditional turkey while whipping up some of their favorite family recipes.

Bringing viewers inside her famous Georgia kitchen -- "back where it all started" -- Deen reveals the tricks of the trade as she prepares her family's tried and true fried turkey, cornbread stuffing, root vegetables, broccoli casserole, sweet potato pie, and more.

Original Shows and Documentaries that Celebrate America every day.
Fox Nation is an entertaining streaming service featuring your favorite Fox News personalities, with original shows and documentaries that celebrate America.

Deen begins by massaging the turkey in a coat of oil before applying a thick coat of seasoning.

"When it comes to your turkeys, it's all about personal preference," she says. "Some people like to brown them, some people like to inject ... but I would season my turkey real good and put him in the refrigerator for at least 24 hours."

Celebrating Thanksgiving with Paula Deen!Video
Later, Deen and her son Michael place the bird in the electric turkey fryer, where it cooks for 41 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

"I think I'm gonna ask a strong man to help me with this one," Deen says as Michael lowers the bird into the sizzling deep fryer.

"Listen to that y'all, that's like listening to Mozart," she adds.

The trick to a perfect fried turkey is an electric turkey fryer, Deen reveals. "But," she warned, "you must not overfill it. that's the main thing."

In an appearance on "Fox & Friends" Monday, Deen shared her Thanksgiving corn casserole recipe with host and fellow culinarian Steve Doocy.

Deen's tips, Doocy said, will help viewers elevate their menu "to the next level."

THIS FOR MY BOY SOUPY:  I brought back fresh oysters and shucked them last week for our Thanksgiving day dressing and feast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
For those who do not know the reference, Mrs. Zigbee allowed Zig to share the recipe and my wife and I made it.  I was quite the fan.  Now my wife wants to make it again because she heard it on some fancy cooking show and I was like, "we already have the recipe"!  She is unsure if we are making it because of COVID as we have shrunk our crowd size.  She needs me to let me tomorrow by 2pm because the fish market is closed after that!
(11-24-2020, 02:36 PM)TcSoup Wrote:
(11-24-2020, 02:12 PM)unc4corners Wrote: Did she throw in a couple stock tips?
You thinking of Snoop Dogs buddy Martha.? 

Dean lost her show for alleged racial slurs and trying to make one of her programs cook's dress like Aunt Jemima LOL
You are correct.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can someone count this? I can't. Tabs are great! maize 3 56 03-17-2024, 04:44 AM
Last Post: maize
  ZNH Stands Alone as the only site to get through the Great Firewall ChinaBuck 6 121 03-09-2024, 08:34 PM
Last Post: K9Buck
  Great read on Christian McCaffery TakeThePoints 0 42 02-11-2024, 01:02 AM
Last Post: TakeThePoints
  Great Hollywood voices TakeThePoints 33 362 01-15-2024, 05:08 PM
Last Post: TakeThePoints
  Happy Thanksgiving Soupcity Kid 38 476 11-26-2023, 10:44 PM
  Democracy's Last Thanksgiving ChinaBuck 8 173 11-24-2023, 02:22 PM
  Bonus TWIP: Thanksgiving Day in Pictures Iowa Mels 1 80 11-23-2023, 05:43 PM
Last Post: ChinaBuck
  Great satire video on Disney! K9Buck 25 631 11-22-2023, 11:17 AM
Last Post: Alabuckeye
  Thanksgiving Carols Blinky 5 179 11-20-2023, 01:28 PM
Last Post: TroyKidd
  A great awakening in the donor/billionaire class? ScarletHayes 4 155 10-23-2023, 01:55 PM
Last Post: ScarletHayes