Welcome to the zigbeenuthouse!!! Our discussion board has topics on ALL Sports and teams from college to pros, Reds, Buckeyes, Bengals, Browns, Food, US politics, religion, news, AND MORE! You MUST register with an acct. to post here. The access to read as non member is open. Please register and gain an acct. with user name to post and ENJOY this site. (June 11, 2019)

Quote of the day: People do not care until they learn how much you do. (April 03, 2020)

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Was shutting everything down a mistake?
Considering that the virus inordinately affects the elderly and the immune-compromised, should we have told them to quarantine and told everyone else to continue on with their lives?  And considering the staggering financial cost, would we have been better off funneling funding to those most at risk to better protect them rather than shutting down most of society?  Sooner or later, we have to try and return to normalcy.  And, sooner or later, everyone is going to be exposed to this virus.  In the end, are we going to say it was the right approach?  I'm not so sure.
(03-18-2020, 03:28 PM)K9Buck Wrote: Considering that the virus inordinately affects the elderly and the immune-compromised, should we have told them to quarantine and told everyone else to continue on with their lives?  And considering the staggering financial cost, would we have been better off funneling funding to those most at risk to better protect them rather than shutting down most of society?  Sooner or later, we have to try and return to normalcy.  And, sooner or later, everyone is going to be exposed to this virus.  In the end, are we going to say it was the right approach?  I'm not so sure.
China and other parts of the world used austerity and they got control and are returning now to normal activities.   Chinabuck has promised more information and I hope it's soon.
Make America Honest Again
At this point we don't know. Great article covering this, IMO, at Daily Wire....

https://www.dailywire.com/news/sichel-be...-questions
I'm not sure at this point, I think everyone filling up bars and restaurants last weekend kind of forced the hand of state governments. Anecdotally, I know that groups of emplayees at local nursing homes went out to bars last weekend, which is just irresponsible to the clients they work with.
I think just thinking the elderly are walking around with this is a big mistake. Iâ€d bet the numbers walking around with this is staggering. The whole country should have been completely shut down a few weeks ago for 3 weeks.
(03-18-2020, 03:35 PM)Alabuckeye Wrote: At this point we don't know.  Great article covering this, IMO, at Daily Wire....

https://www.dailywire.com/news/sichel-be...-questions
That is a nice article.  I think I agree with the author.  Thanks for sharing.
China lied and people died.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/mattvespa/...whatfinger
The America, and the American Military, that you once knew is gone.
Itâ€s all their fault, those pathetic communist morons. But what to do about it needs to wait. We have to get a handle of this thing because the market canâ€t keep taking 6-10 percent hits every day. 
(03-18-2020, 04:09 PM)zigbee Wrote: Itâ€s all their fault, those pathetic communist morons. But what to do about it needs to wait. We have to get a handle of this thing because the market canâ€t keep taking 6-10 percent hits every day. 

I talked to a young dude who made some very poor choices because of a girlfriend. He stopped by to let me know the restaurant he works told him they have to shutdown for 2 weeks. He's living off tips. He asked if they could stay here. I told him no. He started to walk away when I stopped him. I explained why he can't stay here. The 3 Asians are on self-quarantine, so nobody can visit. I told him to wait while I get something for him. I gave him $5k so he could pay his rent for 3 months and they have food. The dude told me his dad refused to help him but I always have time to talk to him. I told him his dad is correct but he didn't want to hear what his dad has to say because of his girlfriend. I like both of them, so I told him to pay me back whenever. I know I'll never see that coin again. It came from the $7k I recently won playing Keno. 

I can picture every move that a man could make
Getting lost in her lovin' is your first mistake
Sundown you better take care
If I find you been creepin' 'round my back stairs
Sometimes I think it's a sin
When I feel like I'm winnin' when I'm losin' again
(03-18-2020, 04:38 PM)lrrps21 Wrote:
(03-18-2020, 04:09 PM)zigbee Wrote: Itâ€s all their fault, those pathetic communist morons. But what to do about it needs to wait. We have to get a handle of this thing because the market canâ€t keep taking 6-10 percent hits every day. 

I talked to a young dude who made some very poor choices because of a girlfriend. He stopped by to let me know the restaurant he works told him they have to shutdown for 2 weeks. He's living off tips. He asked if they could stay here. I told him no. He started to walk away when I stopped him. I explained why he can't stay here. The 3 Asians are on self-quarantine, so nobody can visit. I told him to wait while I get something for him. I gave him $5k so he could pay his rent for 3 months and they have food. The dude told me his dad refused to help him but I always have time to talk to him. I told him his dad is correct but he didn't want to hear what his dad has to say because of his girlfriend. I like both of them, so I told him to pay me back whenever. I know I'll never see that coin again. It came from the $7k I recently won playing Keno. 

I can picture every move that a man could make
Getting lost in her lovin' is your first mistake
Sundown you better take care
If I find you been creepin' 'round my back stairs
Sometimes I think it's a sin
When I feel like I'm winnin' when I'm losin' again
[Image: emoji106.png]
Will be interesting to look back on this few years from now.   A virus causing a recession or slight depression?  Unemployment to reach 20%?  Airlines and tourism tanking?  Auto plants shuttering?
(03-18-2020, 03:28 PM)K9Buck Wrote: Considering that the virus inordinately affects the elderly and the immune-compromised, should we have told them to quarantine and told everyone else to continue on with their lives?  And considering the staggering financial cost, would we have been better off funneling funding to those most at risk to better protect them rather than shutting down most of society?  Sooner or later, we have to try and return to normalcy.  And, sooner or later, everyone is going to be exposed to this virus.  In the end, are we going to say it was the right approach?  I'm not so sure.

The ease with which it's transferred from person to person is concerning and the fact that young, healthy people have died.  Right now, the death rate is around 4%.  Lower than SARS v 1.0, but much higher than flu.
(03-18-2020, 04:52 PM)zigbee Wrote: Will be interesting to look back on this few years from now.   A virus causing a recession or slight depression?  Unemployment to reach 20%?  Airlines and tourism tanking?  Auto plants shuttering?

I mentioned airline stocks a few threads ago. It might take awhile but they will eventually get back into the profit area.

I don't do stock these days. Best advice I ever gotten was by two Hedge Fund dudes at Merrill Lynch. "Get all your money out of the market". I'd buy them each a bottle of Scotch if I run into them again.
(03-18-2020, 04:53 PM)P1tchblack Wrote:

The ease with which it's transferred from person to person is concerning and the fact that young, healthy people have died.  Right now, the death rate is around 4%.  Lower than SARS v 1.0, but much higher than flu.

MERS had a 34% death rate. I'd fly to Northern Italy to see my great-aunt turn 101 if allowed. Heck, I'd have the bat soup special in Wuhan.
I donâ€t think it was a mistake. Was it a gut punch to the economy-yes, but we had a 13k stock market 10 years ago and we survived. My parents are both 74 and I have other relatives over 80. Could I look any of them in the eye and say me drinking pitchers w/ my buddies watching March Madness and Opening Day or eating wings on Friday night is more important than a grave risk to their health-of course not. Iâ€m staying with my folks during this time, and they are taking it better than me.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Another "mistake by the FBI K9Buck 3 327 08-30-2021, 10:43 AM
Last Post: ScarletHayes
  CNN: Biden making big mistake P1tchblack 61 11,270 04-14-2021, 03:56 PM
Last Post: Blinky
  So what was the final straw that led to shutting down "The Hot Spot"? K9Buck 85 18,806 10-01-2020, 01:56 AM
Last Post: ChinaBuck
  Breaking in to water park to use slide proves big mistake zigbee 5 465 08-20-2020, 11:24 AM
Last Post: 3rdgensooner
  Canada shutting down the border zigbee 8 987 03-16-2020, 09:14 PM
Last Post: zigbee
  I'm sure this was an honest mistake. jmesser1982 3 742 04-01-2019, 05:54 PM
Last Post: Soupcity Kid