Welcome to the zigbeenuthouse!!! Our discussion board has topics on ALL Sports and teams from college to pros, Reds, Buckeyes, Bengals, Browns, Food, US politics, religion, news, AND MORE! You MUST register with an acct. to post here. The access to read as non member is open. Please register and gain an acct. with user name to post and ENJOY this site. (June 11, 2019)

Quote of the day: Keep an open mind! Finding the truth means willingness to listen to many ideas. (April 03, 2020)

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
zigbee2020 REDS Hot Stove League
I waited for the right moment.  HUGE signing today of Mike Moustakas to 4 year deal.  Big hitter in middle of that lineup:

CINCINNATI – The Reds showed just how serious they were about upgrading their lineup this offseason on Monday. Cincinnati and free agent Mike Moustakas have agreed to a four-year $64 million contract, sources told MLB.com.
Although a natural third baseman, Moustakas is expected to fill the vacancy at second base. The Reds already have Eugenio Suárez installed at third base and under a long-term contract.
Moustakas, 31, batted .254/.329/.516 last season with 35 home runs and 87 RBIs in 143 games for the Brewers and made the National League All-Star squad. He has averaged 34 homers with an .817 OPS over the past three seasons.
A three-time All-Star and left-handed hitter, Moustakas languished on the open market each of the previous two winters and had to settle for one-year contracts – first with the Royals and then for Milwaukee.
Moustakas spent the first six seasons of his career as a star third baseman for the Royals and played in the 2014 and â€15 World Series, including winning the title in 2015. He was traded from Kansas City to Milwaukee on July 27, 2018.
The Brewers used Moustakas at second base in 47 games during this past season, including 40 starts. He eventually was moved back to third base.
Heading into this offseason, the Reds placed a premium on adding offense. Cincinnati ranked 12th in the NL in hitting and runs scored, while going 75-87. Although the Reds set a new club record with 227 home runs, they scored 701 runs -- just five more over the previous year. They made an attempt to sign free-agent catcher Yasmani Grandal, but he signed a four-year, $73 million contract with the White Sox.
With Suárez at third base, Joey Votto at first base and Freddy Galvis a leading contender for shortstop, the most unsettled spot in the infield was at second base. Last season, Josà Peraza, Derek Dietrich, Scooter Gennett and Josh Van Meter were among the players stationed there. Peraza was non-tendered ahead of Mondayâ€s deadline, making him a free agent. Dietrich was taken off the 40-man roster last month when he was sent outright to Triple-A Louisville, while Gennett – a star for the club in 2017-18 -- was traded to the Giants on July 31.
Now the Reds have positional stability again at second base with a veteran run-producer like Moustakas.

Reds now need to add to the bullpen and get an OF and catcher and they will be set for a big year.
Make America Honest Again
I hope for you Reds Fans it works Out ...BUT...You know the Ole Adage...

"Hall Of Fame Year in a Contract Year...." Hes 31.... Shoulda Spent the 64 Mill on a Pitcher.....

Just Kidding you.......
(12-02-2019, 06:00 PM)AkronBuck Wrote: I hope for you Reds Fans it works Out ...BUT...You know the Ole Adage...

"Hall Of Fame Year in a Contract Year...."  Hes 31....  Shoulda Spent the 64 Mill on a Pitcher.....

Just Kidding you.......
Reds are loaded with pitchers but I bet they get one more or so.   I'm not real worried about age 31.  Joey Votto is going to be 38...that worries me more.
67 wins...
The America, and the American Military, that you once knew is gone.
(12-02-2019, 07:54 PM)lrrps21 Wrote: 67 wins...
You ever get tired of being wrong?
(12-02-2019, 07:56 PM)zigbee Wrote:

67 or 82 what's the difference? It's another failed season. That's my point. Bell is not the right dude for the job.
Interesting to see how heâ€ll do at second base. Should be a smooth transition. Itâ€s a much needed bat and he should do well at GABP
(12-02-2019, 08:01 PM)lrrps21 Wrote:

67 or 82 what's the difference? It's another failed season. That's my point. Bell is not the right dude for the job.
If you think 15 games or MORE is not good then again you are wrong.   Bell has zero to do with the middle infield and adding 35 HRs and close to 90 RBIs.  Management came through.  If I were to ask you to tell us why Bell is not right you'd not have a clue.   Last year climbing out of the basement to win 75 was much better than last place and 67 wins or 64 etc.
(12-02-2019, 08:04 PM)zigbee Wrote:
(12-02-2019, 08:01 PM)lrrps21 Wrote:

If you think 15 games or MORE is not good then again you are wrong.   Bell has zero to do with the middle infield and adding 35 HRs and close to 90 RBIs.  Management came through.  If I were to ask you to tell us why Bell is not right you'd not have a clue.   Last year climbing out of the basement to win 75 was much better than last place and 67 wins or 64 etc.

I've seen the Bell family failures long enough to know the current Bell is not going to be a closer.
I donâ€t get whatâ€s not to like about Dietrich?  I know heâ€s still with the club, but...  if the Reds were serious about run production they would have went after a bat at first base.  I hope Votto goes out and proves me wrong, but his best days are clearly behind him power wise.  I donâ€t need a first baseman with a great obp.  I want/need run production
(12-02-2019, 08:24 PM)ScarletHayes Wrote: I donâ€t get whatâ€s not to like about Dietrich?  I know heâ€s still with the club, but...  if the Reds were serious about run production they would have went after a bat at first base.  I hope Votto goes out and proves me wrong, but his best days are clearly behind him power wise.  I donâ€t need a first baseman with a great obp.  I want/need run production
Dietrich did not hit a HR after May iirc and batted under 200 the rest of the season.  It was dismal. 
Moustakas can play first base and second and rest Votto.  The Reds are stuck with Votto for 4 more years.   

Moustakas hit 35 HRs and drove in 87.  He adds the punch they could not get at second and to the lineup after Gennett went down in February and Van Meter really didn't produce.  IF Aquino is the real deal the Reds added about 75 HRs to the lineup and potential 200 RBIs.   
Their pitching was in top 5 of MLB last year so the key hits held them back greatly.  Compare the stats of Cards and Reds.  Key RBIs led the Cards to win the division and lack of those hits doomed Reds to slot 4 in division.   The BA for each team was very close.
(12-02-2019, 08:31 PM)zigbee Wrote:
(12-02-2019, 08:24 PM)ScarletHayes Wrote: I donâ€t get whatâ€s not to like about Dietrich?  I know heâ€s still with the club, but...  if the Reds were serious about run production they would have went after a bat at first base.  I hope Votto goes out and proves me wrong, but his best days are clearly behind him power wise.  I donâ€t need a first baseman with a great obp.  I want/need run production
Dietrich did not hit a HR after May iirc and batted under 200 the rest of the season.  It was dismal. 
Moustakas can play first base and second and rest Votto.  The Reds are stuck with Votto for 4 more years.   

Moustakas hit 35 HRs and drove in 87.  He adds the punch they could not get at second and to the lineup after Gennett went down in February and Van Meter really didn't produce.  IF Aquino is the real deal the Reds added about 75 HRs to the lineup and potential 200 RBIs.   
Their pitching was in top 5 of MLB last year so the key hits held them back greatly.  Compare the stats of Cards and Reds.  Key RBIs led the Cards to win the division and lack of those hits doomed Reds to slot 4 in division.   The BA for each team was very close.

I really like the signing of Moose. Offensive upgrade that they really need.
I don't know if this has been discussed, but there are new rules in play for 2020. I think the 3 batter rule for relievers is BS and the "position labeling " is ridiculous.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2019/11/15/baseball-rule-changes
Welcome moreheadbuck!!!!
Agree with you
Reds hire Driveline founder to oversee minor league pitching development

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Was the 2020 election stolen by deep states? zigbee 81 377 1 hour ago
Last Post: Alabuckeye
  REDS 2024 baseball thread zigbee 739 4,466 6 hours ago
Last Post: zigbee
  NCAA college FB done? Replaced by super league? zigbee 3 35 Yesterday, 10:30 AM
Last Post: Alabuckeye
  How is it that a Republican won Georgia governor's race before & after 2020 elections K9Buck 297 2,858 04-15-2024, 09:53 PM
  Looking back to 2020, what were some of the dumbest things/events that happened? maize 28 261 03-27-2024, 02:05 AM
Last Post: maize
  More claims of massive voter fraud in Michigan 2020 election K9Buck 68 1,071 03-04-2024, 04:24 PM
Last Post: maize
  REDS thread zigbee 1,271 18,160 02-12-2024, 09:25 PM
Last Post: ChinaBuck
  Election 2020: Revenge of the Dems P1tchblack 201 33,157 02-12-2024, 05:05 PM
  Mail in ballot study finds Trump won 2020 election computerbuck 11 198 02-11-2024, 11:39 PM
Last Post: 3rdgensooner
  He was true great. Broke my heart in 1970 in WS vs Reds zigbee 5 131 09-26-2023, 10:56 PM
Last Post: ChinaBuck