Welcome to the zigbeenuthouse!!! Our discussion board has topics on ALL Sports and teams from college to pros, Reds, Buckeyes, Bengals, Browns, Food, US politics, religion, news, AND MORE! You MUST register with an acct. to post here. The access to read as non member is open. Please register and gain an acct. with user name to post and ENJOY this site. (June 11, 2019)

Quote of the day: Your life doesn't get better by chance. It gets better by change. (April 03, 2020)

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
16 year-old mauled to death in fenced-in backyard, no charges filed
Do you agree? I'm not sure that I do. It seems inconsistent. 

So a 16 year-old climbs a fence to get into someone's back yard. He is attacked by three dogs and later dies from his wounds. From what I've read elsewhere, the owner won't be charged because the dogs were secured in his backyard. 

Ok, I get that. 

However, should jumping into someone's backyard be tantamount to a death sentence by mauling? In my view and experience, dogs that will attack like that should NOT be out loose, even in one's backyard. After all, what if the dog gets loose? What if a small child, somehow, gets into the yard with the dog(s)? 

I guess I'm of the opinion that the owner should be charged. Now, if he had broken into the guy's home, that's a different story. How about you?

Police: Teen Killed After Gruesome Dog Attack
Fenced in yard I got no problem.
If the dog was just chained in the back yard with no fence then I have a problem with that.
Same thing as attach dogs in businesses that are fenced in like car lots etc..
Yeah if the dogs are contained then that's too bad. One of the reasons you don't go over fences and walls guarding someone else's property. If the dogs aren't secured then it's on the owner.
I had a dog that would attack anyone on site. I got rid of him. He was a great dog. I gave him to a respected K9 trainer that I know who could find a more suitable living situation for him, like guarding a nuclear missile silo or something like that.

For my situation, I don't want my dogs attacking someone UNLESS 1) Some idiot agitates them to do so 2) I order them to attack or 3) They're defending me from being attacked. Invariably, there's going to come a time when someone who isn't normally around is going to show up and the LAST thing I want is for my dog to just attack them without provocation.
I will add that, I want my dogs to protect me and my family, not my grill, etc.
Terrible story.  I don't want a dog who attacks anyone unless to protect.   Good point K9.
Make America Honest Again
(08-12-2019, 12:36 PM)zigbee Wrote: Terrible story.  I don't want a dog who attacks anyone unless to protect.   Good point K9.

A few years back some high school boys were walking by my property and were agitating my dogs, both of whom were capable of jumping the six-foot privacy fence that surrounds my backyard.  I went outside and told them that, what they were doing, was extremely foolish.  I told them that the dogs can EASILY go over the fence and that they would "eat their lunch", which was true.  Fortunately, of course, my dogs are smart, sociable, thinking dogs that knew that those kids were no threat.  

I don't know about the rest of the country, but where I live, if you agitate a dog and get attacked, it's on you.  The LAST thing I want, though, is for my dogs to bite some idiot and then have to deal with a lawsuit, animal control, insurance companies, the HOA, etc., even if my dog was justified to bite them.  Who needs the hassle?  Not me.
I have no issue with charges not being filed.
(08-12-2019, 12:43 PM)K9Buck Wrote:
(08-12-2019, 12:36 PM)zigbee Wrote: Terrible story.  I don't want a dog who attacks anyone unless to protect.   Good point K9.

A few years back some high school boys were walking by my property and were agitating my dogs, both of whom were capable of jumping the six-foot privacy fence that surrounds my backyard.  I went outside and told them that, what they were doing, was extremely foolish.  I told them that the dogs can EASILY go over the fence and that they would "eat their lunch", which was true.  Fortunately, of course, my dogs are smart, sociable, thinking dogs that knew that those kids were no threat.  

I don't know about the rest of the country, but where I live, if you agitate a dog and get attacked, it's on you.  The LAST thing I want, though, is for my dogs to bite some idiot and then have to deal with a lawsuit, animal control, insurance companies, the HOA, etc., even if my dog was justified to bite them.  Who needs the hassle?  Not me.
If you know that your dogs can get over your fence are you not liable for any injuries that may occur if someone "agitates" your dogs?  If your dogs can "eat their lunch" do you think that is a proper punishment for a couple foolish teens that just walk by and agitates your dogs?
You can say that the dog's know better but animals are not always predictable.
(08-12-2019, 02:52 PM)unc4corners Wrote:
(08-12-2019, 12:43 PM)K9Buck Wrote:

If you know that your dogs can get over your fence are you not liable for any injuries that may occur if someone "agitates" your dogs?  If your dogs can "eat their lunch" do you think that is a proper punishment for a couple foolish teens that just walk by and agitates your dogs?
You can say that the dog's know better but animals are not always predictable.

Of course it's a concern.  And you're right in that dogs CAN be unpredictable, even well-trained dogs like mine.  Trust me, I've seen a lot of crazy stuff with people and their supposedly "trained" dog.  I've seen dogs get so agitated that they turn around and bite their handler.  

Where I live, the ordinance specifically states that if you agitate a dog and get bit, it's your fault.  You can't agitate a dog, get bit and then claim victimhood.  

Anyway, my dogs aren't going to maul someone to death, unless, possibly, myself or a family member is being attacked.  They're protective, but not homicidal.  I don't want or need a crazed, killer dog.  I like stable, friendly, happy-go-lucky dogs that have the temperament and ability to protect if needed and hopefully it's NEVER needed.  I've not needed it yet.  Of course, when you own dogs like this, most people steer clear, which is what I like.
If they mentioned the Breed of the dogs in the story it would lend a lot of insight into the possible reason for the attack.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Leaves behind one year old; 31 years old and 3 years on force dead in NY zigbee 11 67 15 minutes ago
Last Post: Syncro
  Let’s remember what’s really important on 31 March this year. ChinaBuck 0 37 03-15-2024, 08:12 PM
Last Post: ChinaBuck
  The day of death is better than the day of birth. Ecclesiastes 7:1 K9Buck 0 37 03-13-2024, 02:39 PM
Last Post: K9Buck
  Want to bet these charges dropped and race card appears? zigbee 2 62 03-04-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: TakeThePoints
  Would you do a 70 year old? TakeThePoints 35 480 02-22-2024, 12:30 PM
Last Post: 3rdgensooner
  MS Society fired 90 year old volunteer because she didn’t understand woke pronoun usa ChinaBuck 14 227 02-16-2024, 09:48 AM
Last Post: ScarletHayes
  Peanut allergy death TakeThePoints 18 253 01-29-2024, 08:28 AM
Last Post: Sanitarian2
  Craziest story of this young year. ScarletHayes 4 84 01-24-2024, 07:13 AM
Last Post: dunefan
Tongue Ray Epps sentenced to one year probation K9Buck 87 1,024 01-10-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Alabuckeye
  Year end ZNH awards Alabuckeye 43 701 01-04-2024, 05:24 AM
Last Post: ChinaBuck