Welcome to the zigbeenuthouse!!! Our discussion board has topics on ALL Sports and teams from college to pros, Reds, Buckeyes, Bengals, Browns, Food, US politics, religion, news, AND MORE! You MUST register with an acct. to post here. The access to read as non member is open. Please register and gain an acct. with user name to post and ENJOY this site. (June 11, 2019)

Quote of the day: A positive outlook is what leads to positive results.

WELCOME new member AMaizawing (April 03, 2020)

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
I know no one cares about lacrosse...
...including me...but, hey...WAHOOWA!!!!

Congrats to UVA Men's Lacrosse National Champions.

2nd national title for UVA in the past 7 weeks.

http://www.espn.com/lacrosse/story/_/id/...ampionship

[Image: 61146482_10156587298542635_2197987073217...e=5D617A53]
Another awesome lacrosse thread.
DANGEROUS WHEN PROVOKED
Congrats!
Great sport by the way. I went to a few games here in South Bend a few years back. Buckeyes have come close but no cigar yet. I remember when this was a club sport at upper Arlington. I guess they are or at least were the dominant team in Ohio at the varsity level, sending lots of guys off to play at multiple East Coast schools
Quote:Hard times make hard men.
Hard men make easy times. 
Easy times make soft men. 
Soft men make hard times.
Most importantly, they prevented Yale from repeating as NC.
(05-27-2019, 04:18 PM)dkeener67 Wrote: Congrats!
Great sport by the way.  I went to a few games here in South Bend a few years back. Buckeyes have come close  but no cigar yet. I remember when this was a club sport at upper Arlington. I guess they are or at least were the dominant team in Ohio at the varsity level, sending lots of guys off to  play at multiple East Coast schools

Yeah OSU has played since the 50s, Notre Dame since the 60s. 

Worthington was the first local HS to play in the early 70s. UA has had a team since the early 80s, while Dublin and Hilliard have played since the late 80s. It has exploded around here in modern times.
I remember UA had a team in the 80's. I don't recall whether they were any good back then.
Lacrosse seems to have died down a bit or more schools travel outside of the East play. I used to see kids all over the parks with their lacrosse equipment. Not so much these days.

I think Jim Brown played lacrosse while at Syracuse. Imagine him bouncing dudes around.
DC is a symptom, not the cause. The cause is basic voter stupidity and economic ignorance.
(05-27-2019, 05:02 PM)lrrps21 Wrote: Lacrosse seems to have died down a bit or more schools travel outside of the East play. I used to see kids all over the parks with their lacrosse equipment. Not so much these days.

I think Jim Brown played lacrosse while at Syracuse. Imagine him bouncing dudes around.

Brown was a hell of a lacrosse player. Iâ€ve heard he was one of the best ever, which is no surprise given his freakish abilities especially back in the 50s
(05-27-2019, 05:00 PM)Iva1bucksfan1 Wrote: I remember UA had a team in the 80's.  I don't recall whether they were any good back then.

It  was a club sport in the mid 70s.   Not sure when the Ohio athletic Association sanctioned actual varsity status for lacrosse. Upper Arlington claims like 16 championships in boys lacrosse.
Breaking down the history of Men's/Boy's Lacrosse in Central Ohio.

College

Kenyon has been at it since 1947. Ohio State and Denison went varsity in 1953. Ohio Wesleyan went in 1956. Today OSU is in the Big Ten while OWU, Denison and Kenyon are in the North Coast (D3), but OSU actually played the other three regularly up through the 90s, and OSU didn't fare very well in those series. The Buckeyes are barely over .500 vs Kenyon at 29-22-1 from 1953-93, while D3 blue bloods OWU and Denison ate OSU's lunch. Denison leads the Buckeyes 42-17 in the all time series from 1953-97, while OWU leads OSU 34-17 in the all time series from 1956-96, and are technically still riding a 19 game winning streak vs the Buckeyes. Then more recently Otterbein took up D3 Lacrosse in 2010 and Capital burst onto the scene in 2014. Otterbein was the first OAC school to take up varsity lacrosse in 2010, and today the OAC enjoys conference wide participation among all 10 schools. Capital was number 5. 

At the HS level I am mostly going off of memory and have the gist of it, but might be off by a few years here and there. 

Worthington HS had a team in the early 70s. Upper Arlington had a team by the early 80s (keener suggests maybe earlier). By the late 80s Dublin and Hilliard joined the fray along with Wellington, which was a private school in Upper Arlington. So five total teams, all in the NW suburbs.

In the 90s Worthington, Dublin and Hilliard each opened a second HS (Kilbourne, Scioto and Darby) while Olentangy took up Lacrosse after moving into their big brand new HS and joining the OCC. Additionally Columbus Academy (Gahanna) and St Charles (Bexley) started up teams on the Private School side to give Wellington some company. 

In the 20-ots Watterson and DeSales, the two big North Side Catholic schools, started up teams, bringing the total number of Private Schools up to 5 which is where it still stands to this day. On the public school side Dublin and Hilliard each opened a third HS (Jerome and Bradley) while Olentangy opened a second and a third HS (Liberty and Orange). On top of all that the four College Lacrosse towns got involved at the HS level, adding four D1 OCC schools in Delaware and the three Westerville HSs (South, North and Central) along with a pair of smaller D2 Public schools in Granville and Bexley. Granville and Bexley were the first two Public Schools that were a) D2, and b) not in the OCC. 

In the 2010s it has just gotten silly. The OCC has added D1 Lacrosse programs at both Pickerington HSs (Central and North) along with Gahanna, New Albany, Newark, Big Nut and Marysville, as well as a fourth Olentangy HS (Berlin). On top of all that you have somewhat substantial growth at the D2 public school level with Jonathan Alder, Johnstown, Licking Valley and Buckeye Valley jumping into the mix. 

So today the OCC contains all 24 of the D1 Public Schools in Central Ohio, and is divided up geographically into three divisions of eight. 

West 
Upper Arlington
3 Dublins (Coffman, Scioto and Jerome)
3 Hilliards (Davidson, Darby and Bradley)
Marysville 

North 
Delaware 
2 Worthingtons (Thomas and Kilbourne) 
4 Olentangys (Olentangy, Liberty, Orange and Berlin)
Big Nut 

East 
3 Westervilles (South, North and Central)
2 Pickeringtons (Central and North) 
New Albany 
Gahanna 
Newark 

Then there are 11 D2 programs in Central Ohio that are divided between Private (5) and Public (6)

D2 Private: Wellington, Cols Academy, St Charles, Watterson and DeSales. 

D2 Public: Bexley, Granville, Johnstown, Licking Valley, Buckeye Valley and Jonathan Alder
(05-27-2019, 06:09 PM)dkeener67 Wrote:
(05-27-2019, 05:00 PM)Iva1bucksfan1 Wrote: I remember UA had a team in the 80's.  I don't recall whether they were any good back then.

It  was a club sport in the mid 70s.   Not sure when the Ohio athletic Association sanctioned actual varsity status for lacrosse. Upper Arlington claims like 16 championships in boys lacrosse.

Didn't  you go to UA in the 70s? Let me pick your brain for just a sec. The reason that I attributed the early 80s start time to UA lacrosse is due to a celebratory mural for the UA girls lacrosse team, which has amassed quite a few state titles of their own including each of the last two (they go for a three-peat this week). Anyway the mural included a timeline and the first bullet point said that UA glax started up in the early 80s, and that Thomas Worthington and CSG were the only other teams. Now I'm not going to get into the weeds of central ohio glax history, but it is entirely possible that UA had a boys team well before they had a girls team in the early 80s. Is that consistent with the way that you remember it in the 70s? The boys played, but the girls didn't? Now I know that Worthington started up a boys team in 71 and they claim to be  the first iirc. You don't happen to remember the time frame for the UA boys team do you? That would be interesting. 

The OHSAA has only sponsored Lacrosse as a varsity sport for like five years or so, so you need not take that into account.
(05-27-2019, 07:00 PM)Brutus Buckeye Wrote: Breaking down the history of Men's/Boy's Lacrosse in Central Ohio.

College

Kenyon has been at it since 1947. Ohio State and Denison went varsity in 1953. Ohio Wesleyan went in 1956. Today OSU is in the Big Ten while OWU, Denison and Kenyon are in the North Coast (D3), but OSU actually played the other three regularly up through the 90s, and OSU didn't fare very well in those series. The Buckeyes are barely over .500 vs Kenyon at 29-22-1 from 1953-93, while D3 blue bloods OWU and Denison ate OSU's lunch. Denison leads the Buckeyes 42-17 in the all time series from 1953-97, while OWU leads OSU 34-17 in the all time series from 1956-96, and are technically still riding a 19 game winning streak vs the Buckeyes. Then more recently Otterbein took up D3 Lacrosse in 2010 and Capital burst onto the scene in 2014. Otterbein was the first OAC school to take up varsity lacrosse in 2010, and today the OAC enjoys conference wide participation among all 10 schools. Capital was number 5. 

At the HS level I am mostly going off of memory and have the gist of it, but might be off by a few years here and there. 

Worthington HS had a team in the early 70s. Upper Arlington had a team by the early 80s (keener suggests maybe earlier). By the late 80s Dublin and Hilliard joined the fray along with Wellington, which was a private school in Upper Arlington. So five total teams, all in the NW suburbs.

In the 90s Worthington, Dublin and Hilliard each opened a second HS (Kilbourne, Scioto and Darby) while Olentangy took up Lacrosse after moving into their big brand new HS and joining the OCC. Additionally Columbus Academy (Gahanna) and St Charles (Bexley) started up teams on the Private School side to give Wellington some company. 

In the 20-ots Watterson and DeSales, the two big North Side Catholic schools, started up teams, bringing the total number of Private Schools up to 5 which is where it still stands to this day. On the public school side Dublin and Hilliard each opened a third HS (Jerome and Bradley) while Olentangy opened a second and a third HS (Liberty and Orange). On top of all that the four College Lacrosse towns got involved at the HS level, adding four D1 OCC schools in Delaware and the three Westerville HSs (South, North and Central) along with a pair of smaller D2 Public schools in Granville and Bexley. Granville and Bexley were the first two Public Schools that were a) D2, and b) not in the OCC. 

In the 2010s it has just gotten silly. The OCC has added D1 Lacrosse programs at both Pickerington HSs (Central and North) along with Gahanna, New Albany, Newark, Big Nut and Marysville, as well as a fourth Olentangy HS (Berlin). On top of all that you have somewhat substantial growth at the D2 public school level with Jonathan Alder, Johnstown, Licking Valley and Buckeye Valley jumping into the mix. 

So today the OCC contains all 24 of the D1 Public Schools in Central Ohio, and is divided up geographically into three divisions of eight. 

West 
Upper Arlington
3 Dublins (Coffman, Scioto and Jerome)
3 Hilliards (Davidson, Darby and Bradley)
Marysville 

North 
Delaware 
2 Worthingtons (Thomas and Kilbourne) 
4 Olentangys (Olentangy, Liberty, Orange and Berlin)
Big Nut 

East 
3 Westervilles (South, North and Central)
2 Pickeringtons (Central and North) 
New Albany 
Gahanna 
Newark 

Then there are 11 D2 programs in Central Ohio that are divided between Private (5) and Public (6)

D2 Private: Wellington, Cols Academy, St Charles, Watterson and DeSales. 

D2 Public: Bexley, Granville, Johnstown, Licking Valley, Buckeye Valley and Jonathan Alder
DeSales is chasing their 3rd State Title since 2012 this week on the Boys side and their Girls who are ranked #1 in the State are after their 1st State Title. 
Both Final 4's begin Weds.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If anyone cares.... Alabuckeye 6 1,060 06-03-2020, 07:00 PM
Last Post: lrrps21
  Nobody cares what you think Hillary jmesser1982 4 732 05-31-2019, 09:27 AM
Last Post: cincydawg
  LBJ passes MJ and no one cares Alabuckeye 30 5,499 03-09-2019, 05:40 PM
Last Post: Soupcity Kid