Welcome to the zigbeenuthouse!!! Our discussion board has topics on ALL Sports and teams from college to pros, Reds, Buckeyes, Bengals, Browns, Food, US politics, religion, news, AND MORE! You MUST register with an acct. to post here. The access to read as non member is open. Please register and gain an acct. with user name to post and ENJOY this site. (June 11, 2019)

Quote of the day: A positive outlook is what leads to positive results.

WELCOME new member AMaizawing (April 03, 2020)

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
lrrps21D-Day
Rangers Lead The Way. 

Nothing else needs to be stated.
DC is a symptom, not the cause. The cause is basic voter stupidity and economic ignorance.
(06-06-2023, 10:29 AM)lrrps21 Wrote: Rangers Lead The Way. 

Nothing else needs to be stated.

Absolutely
Make America Honest Again
I walked Normandy beach. Went way out at low tide and looked back. Just wow
I’m heading to Normandy at the end of June. My wife asked if she had to go. I said please don’t ruin my pilgrimage to hallow ground. So she will stay in Paris and shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(06-06-2023, 05:44 PM)Georgem80 Wrote: I’m heading to Normandy at the end of June. My wife asked if she had to go. I said please don’t ruin my pilgrimage to hallow ground. So she will stay in Paris and shop.

Assuming you’re driving, stop at all the farms and drink all the Calvados. Makes for a hell of a trip along the way.

Anyone here who hasn’t read D-Day by Stephen Ambrose needs to make the time. Tremendous read.

Those cliffs are a hell of a lot taller than you’d think. It really is an awakening experience to see it first hand.
(06-06-2023, 05:44 PM)Georgem80 Wrote: I’m heading to Normandy at the end of June. My wife asked if she had to go. I said please don’t ruin my pilgrimage to hallow ground. So she will stay in Paris and shop.

I look forward to going one day, I hope.  

How about Auschwitz?  Ever been?  That's another place that I want to visit.  

Visiting historic sites can be very surreal.
Anti-individualistic, the Fascist conception of life stresses the importance of the State and accepts the individual only in so far as his interests coincide with those of the State...

- Benito Mussolini
Speaking of visiting historic places, years ago my sister took her teenage kids to Philadelphia.  They visited a spot that had been frequented by Benjamin Franklin.  That spot had also been shown in a movie with Nicholas Cage.  Anyway, my sister asked her teenage kids "Do you understand the historic significance of where we are"?  Her then 14-year-old daughter responded, "Yea, Nicholas Cage stood right here!".   Big Grin

Anti-individualistic, the Fascist conception of life stresses the importance of the State and accepts the individual only in so far as his interests coincide with those of the State...

- Benito Mussolini
(06-06-2023, 05:57 PM)Syncro Wrote:

Assuming you’re driving, stop at all the farms and drink all the Calvados. Makes for a hell of a trip along the way.

Anyone here who hasn’t read D-Day by Stephen Ambrose needs to make the time. Tremendous read.

Those cliffs are a hell of a lot taller than you’d think. It really is an awakening experience to see it first hand.

Yes, I have that book in my Audible collection.  It is indeed a great read/listen!

- Benito Mussolini
This Walter Cronkite interview of Dwight Eisenhower on the 20th anniversary of the invasion is one of the greatest, if not the greatest, historical interviews in existence.

- Benito Mussolini
(06-06-2023, 05:57 PM)Syncro Wrote: Assuming you’re driving, stop at all the farms and drink all the Calvados. Makes for a hell of a trip along the way.

I recall seeing an interview of one of the Rangers.  I'm guessing the guy was around 80 at the time of the interview.  Anyway, he was one of the guys that scaled Pont Du Hoc (apologize if I botched the spelling, which for me is likely).  I mean it's one thing to scale a sheer cliff, it's another thing to do it while you're being shot at.  This guy being interviewed made the point that he and his buds weren't regular Army.  He said you had to be of the type that had a bit of a screw loose to willingly do that crap.  Like I said, this guy had to be around 80 or so.  His eyes lit up like he wanted to go out and mix it up again.  

I'll have to check out that book some time.   Cool
(06-06-2023, 10:02 PM)ScarletHayes Wrote: I recall seeing an interview of one of the Rangers.  I'm guessing the guy was around 80 at the time of the interview.  Anyway, he was one of the guys that scaled Pont Du Hoc (apologize if I botched the spelling, which for me is likely).  I mean it's one thing to scale a sheer cliff, it's another thing to do it while you're being shot at.  This guy being interviewed made the point that he and his buds weren't regular Army.  He said you had to be of the type that had a bit of a screw loose to willingly do that crap.  Like I said, this guy had to be around 80 or so.  His eyes lit up like he wanted to go out and mix it up again.  

If the guy you mention was at Pointe du Hoc then he was under Lt. Colonel Rudder (Rudder's Rangers)...General Bradley speaks a bit about it in his book A Soldier's Story (also well worth a read).

That particular point of attack was reasonably lightly defended by the Germans because they never expected any offensive there due to the sheer cliff wall...unfortunately the LCAs carrying Rudder's team was quite late to land because they were several miles off course. By the time they hit the LZ the Germans were reinforced and put up a hell of a fight.
(06-07-2023, 10:03 AM)Syncro Wrote:
(06-06-2023, 10:02 PM)ScarletHayes Wrote: I recall seeing an interview of one of the Rangers.  I'm guessing the guy was around 80 at the time of the interview.  Anyway, he was one of the guys that scaled Pont Du Hoc (apologize if I botched the spelling, which for me is likely).  I mean it's one thing to scale a sheer cliff, it's another thing to do it while you're being shot at.  This guy being interviewed made the point that he and his buds weren't regular Army.  He said you had to be of the type that had a bit of a screw loose to willingly do that crap.  Like I said, this guy had to be around 80 or so.  His eyes lit up like he wanted to go out and mix it up again.  

If the guy you mention was at Pointe du Hoc then he was under Lt. Colonel Rudder (Rudder's Rangers)...General Bradley speaks a bit about it in his book A Soldier's Story (also well worth a read).

That particular point of attack was reasonably lightly defended by the Germans because they never expected any offensive there due to the sheer cliff wall...unfortunately the LCAs carrying Rudder's team was quite late to land because they were several miles off course.  By the time they hit the LZ the Germans were reinforced and put up a hell of a fight.

Agreed. An excellent book about Bradley.

Edit: actually I have and read A General’s Life

No longer GroupThink 'woke'.  but it was fun while it lasted.