Welcome to the zigbeenuthouse!!! Our discussion board has topics on ALL Sports and teams from college to pros, Reds, Buckeyes, Bengals, Browns, Food, US politics, religion, news, AND MORE! You MUST register with an acct. to post here. The access to read as non member is open. Please register and gain an acct. with user name to post and ENJOY this site. (June 11, 2019)

Quote of the day: Your life doesn't get better by chance. It gets better by change. (April 03, 2020)

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If you live in Portland, get out of real estate ASAFP
Store owner has had enough. Calls it quits after all the break-ins and the authorities essentially doing nothing.

I'm surprised it took this long for some of these places.

“Our city is in peril,” the note on the door of Rains PDX read. “Small businesses (and large) cannot sustain doing business in our cityâ€s current state. We have no protection, or recourse, against the criminal behavior that goes unpunished. Do not be fooled into thinking that insurance companies cover losses. We have sustained 15 break-ins … we have not received any financial reimbursement since the 3rd.”

Landolfo also told KATU she's concerned about her employees' safety and doesn't see her physical store as a feasible business model anymore.

"The problem is, as small businesses, we cannot sustain those types of losses and stay in business," she added to the station. "I wonâ€t even go into the numbers of how much has been out of pocket."

KATU said it reached out to Mayor Ted Wheeler's office when Rains PDX was broken into in late October.

While the mayor's team said work is being done to increase funding for business repair grants through Prosper Portland, Landolfo told the station that isn't sufficient action.

"Paying for glass — thatâ€s great, but that is so surface and does nothing for the root cause of the problem, so itâ€s never going to change," she added to KATU.
********************************************************************************************

When ya vote for childish nonsense, you get childish nonsense---national and local. Guess the voters up there are gonna have to learn the hard way before any real, meaningful change takes place.

https://www.theblaze.com/news/portland-b...unish-them
(11-28-2022, 08:46 AM)ScarletHayes Wrote: Store owner has had enough.  Calls it quits after all the break-ins and the authorities essentially doing nothing. 

I'm surprised it took this long for some of these places.

“Our city is in peril,” the note on the door of Rains PDX read. “Small businesses (and large) cannot sustain doing business in our cityâ€s current state. We have no protection, or recourse, against the criminal behavior that goes unpunished. Do not be fooled into thinking that insurance companies cover losses. We have sustained 15 break-ins … we have not received any financial reimbursement since the 3rd.” 

Landolfo also told KATU she's concerned about her employees' safety and doesn't see her physical store as a feasible business model anymore.

"The problem is, as small businesses, we cannot sustain those types of losses and stay in business," she added to the station. "I wonâ€t even go into the numbers of how much has been out of pocket."

KATU said it reached out to Mayor Ted Wheeler's office when Rains PDX was broken into in late October.

While the mayor's team said work is being done to increase funding for business repair grants through Prosper Portland, Landolfo told the station that isn't sufficient action.

"Paying for glass — thatâ€s great, but that is so surface and does nothing for the root cause of the problem, so itâ€s never going to change," she added to KATU.

********************************************************************************************

When ya vote for childish nonsense, you get childish nonsense---national and local.  Guess the voters up there are gonna have to learn the hard way before any real, meaningful change takes place.

https://www.theblaze.com/news/portland-b...unish-them

So the local gubmint will take your tax dollars but not to fund police and protection but instead to help you pay for the damages done by thieves and vandals.   What a pathetic country.
"Hightop can reduce an entire message board of men to mudsharks. It's actually pretty funny to watch."

Iâ€ve mentioned this before, but friends of mine and my wife had a high end tea shop in the Pearl District and they were about ready to open some serious foodie restaurant next door. The BLM riots and general crime brought a complete halt to their dreams. They had to abandon both places do to the crime, both in the area (leading to huge customer loss) and to damage to their store multiple times.

The city government doesnâ€t care about small businesses at all, they are only interested in protecting the criminals. So early last summer our friends left the Portland hell hole. They said they would never go back.

If there is any good in this, they transitioned from being serious liberals to becoming conservatives. They witnessed liberal tragedies first hand and now understand there is no way liberals will ever care about people like them. You know, the hard-working honest types.
"Don't, I say don't bother me dog, can't ya see I'm thinkin'?"   Foghorn Leghorn
Clearly these politicians have to be funded by someone like Soros.  They're stuck between the re-election money and the voters.  Considering that, always bet on and follow the money.  Nothing real or meaningful will get done up there until the radical left is ran out of town on a rail.  That's up to the "make America kind again" voting bloc that runs that city/state.
(11-28-2022, 09:00 AM)ChinaBuck Wrote: Iâ€ve mentioned this before, but friends of mine and my wife had a high end tea shop in the Pearl District and they were about ready to open some serious foodie restaurant next door. The BLM riots and general crime brought a complete halt to their dreams. They had to abandon both places do to the crime, both in the area (leading to huge customer loss) and to damage to their store multiple times.

The city government doesnâ€t care about small businesses at all, they are only interested in protecting the criminals. So early last summer our friends left the Portland hell hole. They said they would never go back.

If there is any good in this, they transitioned from being serious liberals to becoming conservatives. They witnessed liberal tragedies first hand and now understand there is no way liberals will ever care about people like them. You know, the hard-working honest types.

The only way they will care is if they start losing legitimately ran elections.  Only then will those leftist loons be ran out of town/state.  Until then?  Rinse.  Repeat.
(11-28-2022, 09:00 AM)ScarletHayes Wrote: Clearly these politicians have to be funded by someone like Soros.  They're stuck between the re-election money and the voters.  Considering that, always bet on and follow the money.  Nothing real or meaningful will get done up there until the radical left is ran out of town on a rail.  That's up to the "make America kind again" voting bloc that runs that city/state.

This is just the way cities are going.  The woke Leftist mayor we had destroyed the city over the last decade. 500 murders since 2020 and shootings are everywhere.  City had a chance to elect a good sane GOP mayor 3 weeks ago but instead elected another Leftist nitwit, Craig Greenberg, who blames firearms and the police.  Hopeless situation.
"Hightop can reduce an entire message board of men to mudsharks. It's actually pretty funny to watch."

(11-28-2022, 09:00 AM)ScarletHayes Wrote: Clearly these politicians have to be funded by someone like Soros.  They're stuck between the re-election money and the voters.  Considering that, always bet on and follow the money.  Nothing real or meaningful will get done up there until the radical left is ran out of town on a rail.  That's up to the "make America kind again" voting bloc that runs that city/state.

Or, like in other states, progressive DA's are voted out of office.  Things sometimes sound good in theory, but don't work in practice.
(11-28-2022, 09:22 AM)P1tchblack Wrote:

Or, like in other states, progressive DA's are voted out of office.  Things sometimes sound good in theory, but don't work in practice.

Rarely happens.  Even when it did in SF, the Soros prosecutor was just replaced with another Leftist who changed almost nothing.

(11-28-2022, 09:30 AM)Hightop77 Wrote:

Rarely happens.  Even when it did in SF, the Soros prosecutor was just replaced with another Leftist who changed almost nothing.

Right....

New San Francisco District Attorney Cleans House after Replacing Chesa Boudin

San Franciscoâ€s newly-appointed district attorney, Brooke Jenkins, wasted no time cleaning house after replacing progressive reformer Chesa Boudin as the cityâ€s top prosecutor.

acked at least 15 staffers on Friday as part of her efforts to refocus the district attorneyâ€s officeâ€s efforts on cracking down on crime and holding repeat offenders accountable. She also announced four new hires – all women, and three described as women of color – to her management team. One of Jenkins†hires was Nancy Tung, a former San Francisco prosecutor who was an opponent of Boudinâ€s during the 2019 election. While Boudin ran as a reformer, Tung ran as a more traditional tough-on-crime prosecutor.

“I promised the public that I would restore accountability and consequences to the criminal justice system while advancing smart reforms responsibly,” Jenkins said of the new hires, according to a SF Gate report. “I have full faith and confidence that these women will promote and protect public safety while delivering justice in all of its various forms.”
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/new-...sa-boudin/
Insanely liberal to just liberal in SF. SF will continue to worsen. It was on a severe downward spiral before Boudin. It used to be an amazing city I loved after first visiting. It now functions as an open toilet and I wouldn't go near the place.
(11-28-2022, 09:39 AM)P1tchblack Wrote:

Right....

San Franciscoâ€s newly-appointed district attorney, Brooke Jenkins, wasted no time cleaning house after replacing progressive reformer Chesa Boudin as the cityâ€s top prosecutor.

acked at least 15 staffers on Friday as part of her efforts to refocus the district attorneyâ€s officeâ€s efforts on cracking down on crime and holding repeat offenders accountable. She also announced four new hires – all women, and three described as women of color – to her management team. One of Jenkins†hires was Nancy Tung, a former San Francisco prosecutor who was an opponent of Boudinâ€s during the 2019 election. While Boudin ran as a reformer, Tung ran as a more traditional tough-on-crime prosecutor.

“I promised the public that I would restore accountability and consequences to the criminal justice system while advancing smart reforms responsibly,” Jenkins said of the new hires, according to a SF Gate report. “I have full faith and confidence that these women will promote and protect public safety while delivering justice in all of its various forms.”
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Thanks for making my point.  Replacing Leftist prosecutors with other Leftist prosecutors and staff but no indication they will do anything differently in terms of dealing with criminals.

(11-28-2022, 10:33 AM)Hightop77 Wrote:
(11-28-2022, 09:39 AM)P1tchblack Wrote:

Right....

Thanks for making my point.  Replacing Leftist prosecutors with other Leftist prosecutors and staff but no indication they will do anything differently in terms of dealing with criminals.

Being a Democrat/Liberal isn't the same as progressive or woke.  It's possible to be a Democrat, enforce laws and prosecute criminals.
If you're going to make a claim that nothing is being done differently, then support your claim. Below is what I have.  What do you have?

A quick Google search provided the above article regarding her firing 15 members of the previous apparent woke staff.

She, apparently on Day 1, "told staffers she wanted a review of every single so-far-unclosed plea offer to see which of them should be withdrawn, the paper said."

It's apparent that the Woke contingency of the party isn't happy with her:

San Francisco DA Brooke Jenkins walks out as woke protesters disrupt election debate

And one very early study shows changes are happening.

Are S.F. police behaving differently under Brooke Jenkins than under Chesa Boudin? Study finds immediate shift

San Francisco police officers stepped up street enforcement in significant ways after District Attorney Chesa Boudin was recalled and replaced by mayoral appointee Brooke Jenkins, a new analysis of city data finds.

In the three months since Jenkins was sworn in July 8, police initiated eight more traffic stops per day on average when compared with the three months before — an increase of nearly 30%.

Also in the 45 days after Jenkins was sworn in, officers made 10 additional “public order” stops per day, a 20% increase, according to the analysis conducted by an economist from New York Universityâ€s Public Safety Lab in partnership with The Chronicle.

Public order stops include those related to vandalism, illegal dumping, soliciting sex, trespassing and sit-lie ordinances, which prohibit individuals from sitting or lying on city sidewalks between 7 a.m. and 11 p.m. These crimes are mostly classified as lower-level, and police typically exercise more discretion in responding to them than they do with more serious offenses like robberies and shootings.

The jump in stops raises questions about whether the change was driven by the replacement of a progressive, reformist prosecutor with a more moderate district attorney who has publicly pledged to increase punishment for people accused of crime.

Some police critics decried what they saw as purposeful police inactivity under Boudinâ€s tenure — an assertion that officials disputed — while some voters who ousted Boudin believed he was hamstringing the cops by being too lenient with prosecutions. Recall supporters have been asking for more street enforcement.

“The paperâ€s potential implications that there were significant changes in officers†behavior relating to the recall election are very concerning to me,” Police Commissioner Kevin Benedicto told The Chronicle in an email. “I plan to review the paper and data closely and discuss the findings with Chief Scott and SFPD leadership.”

Also in the immediate period after Jenkins took office, residents made fewer calls to police related to public order offenses, suggesting that the increase in enforcement likely wasnâ€t due to a surge in these crimes. The data does not include the outcome of stops, so the analysis does not show whether there was a corresponding increase in arrests.

The study did not show any significant uptick in police response to violent crimes such as assault or property-related offenses like burglary and shoplifting.

The Chronicle asked Boudin, Jenkins and San Francisco police officials about the analysis, but they had not provided comment by Wednesday. The District Attorneyâ€s Office suggested The Chronicle ask police to explain the change in activity.

The uptick in stops comes amid a citywide debate over a proposal to curtail pretextual stops, in which officers use relatively minor infractions — often traffic violations — to probe for larger crimes. The proposed policy would bar city police officers from stopping people for a variety of low-level infractions including throwing trash from a window and driving without registration tags.

Police have argued that such stops help them proactively search for weapons and illegal drugs, while critics say such stops are inefficient and analogous to outdated “stop and frisk” policies.

Previous Chronicle analyses have shown that Black San Franciscans are 11 times more likely than white people to be stopped for minor traffic infractions like expired registration tags. Overall traffic stops have declined significantly in the city since 2018.

Attempts to measure the impact of Boudinâ€s and Jenkins†policies on crime and on how police do their jobs have been challenging, in part because Boudin took office right before the COVID pandemic upended the cityâ€s social and economic order, causing far larger changes to crime rates than any district attorney could.

But the analysis conducted in partnership with The Chronicle suggests that while San Franciscoâ€s switch in district attorneys hasnâ€t significantly impacted actual crime rates in the city, it has influenced police behavior.

To measure whether that behavior shifted after Boudinâ€s departure, postdoctoral researcher Lauren Schechter used what is called a “regression discontinuity in time” analysis. This type of analysis compares data immediately before and after an event to examine whether the event caused the pattern of the data to shift.

Schechter, who is affiliated with New York Universityâ€s Public Safety Lab and specializes in analyzing prosecutors†behavior, said this type of analysis was used to measure changes to police activity after the George Floyd protests in 2020.

To isolate police behavior from other factors, like changing crime rates and seasonality, Schechter compared changes in police-initiated stops with resident-initiated calls for service to the police.

If resident calls for service did not increase but police stops did, that could mean that police are responding to suspected offenses more proactively. But if police-initiated stops increased at the same time as resident-initiated stops, that would probably just indicate that overall crime patterns are changing.
Schechter also examined the same period the prior year, to make sure that the changes observed in the data were not due to seasonal changes seen in a typical July.

The change in public order stops appears to reflect each district attorneyâ€s stated priorities. During his campaign in 2019, Boudin emphasized that he would not prosecute many of these types of offenses, like prostitution and panhandling.

On the other hand, Jenkins, a former employee of Boudinâ€s who supported his recall, has pledged to restore “law and order to San Francisco.” While her charging rates for most offenses are so far comparable with Boudinâ€s, she has said publicly she supports police efforts to crack down on lower-level offenses.
Jenkins joined a recent call with police officers and Mission District residents to discuss prosecuting sex workers in the neighborhood. She told Mission residents on the call that her close relationship with the police force would mean change compared with her predecessor. During the same call, one officer openly discussed changing the departmentâ€s enforcement activity in response to Jenkins†appointment.

“Letâ€s call it what it is: new coach, new approach,” Special Victims Unit Sergeant-Inspector Tony Flores said, according to Mission Local.
Flores added that previous police efforts to enforce prostitution laws had been hampered by Boudinâ€s dismissal of cases brought to him.

Schechter cautioned that the findings are “suggestive” of a Boudin-related change in policing behavior, not definitive proof. Other events around the July 8 period could have influenced police behavior — for instance, the pretextual stops debate, which intensified around the same time.

Police Chief Bill Scott previously attributed increases in drug arrests in the Tenderloin over the summer to a $125,000 grant the department received to enforce laws in the troubled neighborhood. While Schechterâ€s analysis showed that the increase in police activity happened outside of the Tenderloin as well, she said the grant could have led to “spillover” effects in other neighborhoods.

Schechter added that it would be tricky to extend her findings to other progressive district attorneys simply because Boudin was so much more high profile, and his relationship with police appeared particularly “contentious.” Boudin filed charges against several officers in alleged cases of brutality.

Schechter said she is interested in seeing whether the increase in police stops continues under Jenkins; sometimes, she said, changes in police activity may be “short-lived” after an event like this, before returning to “whatever the equilibrium was before.”

https://www.sfchronicle.com/crime/articl...550839.php

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Live Concert / Shows thread TcSoup 87 1,279 03-12-2024, 01:12 PM
Last Post: Beastdog
  "We live in a fallen, demonic, empire" K9Buck 38 500 02-03-2024, 03:43 AM
Last Post: P1tchblack
  Little Drummer Boy - King and Country Live unc4corners 13 184 12-24-2023, 02:11 AM
Last Post: ChinaBuck
  Portland, OR Teachers Strike Syncro 10 255 11-02-2023, 07:52 PM
Last Post: ChinaBuck
  Today is Real Women’s Day ChinaBuck 4 92 10-10-2023, 06:38 PM
Last Post: unc4corners
  Poor Man South of Portland ChinaBuck 6 159 10-02-2023, 06:53 PM
Last Post: TroyKidd
  Be happy you live in the United States P1tchblack 10 156 09-15-2023, 01:06 PM
Last Post: TroyKidd
  Will the Real slim shady please shut up zigbee 3 93 08-30-2023, 09:45 AM
Last Post: zigbee
  Eating live tarantulas, Mmmmm TakeThePoints 10 134 07-19-2023, 02:29 PM