Welcome to the zigbeenuthouse!!! Our discussion board has topics on ALL Sports and teams from college to pros, Reds, Buckeyes, Bengals, Browns, Food, US politics, religion, news, AND MORE! You MUST register with an acct. to post here. The access to read as non member is open. Please register and gain an acct. with user name to post and ENJOY this site. (June 11, 2019)

Quote of the day: Your life doesn't get better by chance. It gets better by change. (April 03, 2020)

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
K9BuckIt seems that some Bible verses are nonsensical
1 Corinthians 2:14 ESV
The natural person does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand them because they are spiritually discerned.

1 Corinthians 2:14 NIV
The person without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God but considers them foolishness, and cannot understand them because they are discerned only through the Spirit.

1 Corinthians 2:14
King James Version
14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
Anti-individualistic, the Fascist conception of life stresses the importance of the State and accepts the individual only in so far as his interests coincide with those of the State...

- Benito Mussolini
The NIV version makes sense, the other two do not. Those verses claim that nonbelievers are spiritually "discerned" but I believe that statement to be inaccurate. Unbelievers are NOT spiritually discerned. They cannot recognize that which is truth from that which is a lie. They cannot discern what is pleasing to God and what is not.

Where am I going wrong on this?
Anti-individualistic, the Fascist conception of life stresses the importance of the State and accepts the individual only in so far as his interests coincide with those of the State...

- Benito Mussolini
I think the mistake is that the subject is “the things of God” and not “unbelievers”.

THAT is what can not be discerned.

No longer GroupThink 'woke'.  but it was fun while it lasted.
(04-26-2022, 03:39 PM)Alabuckeye Wrote: I think the mistake is that the subject is “the things of God” and not “unbelievers”.

The NIV version does not match exactly with the other two versions.

- Benito Mussolini
(04-28-2022, 03:29 AM)K9Buck Wrote:
(04-26-2022, 03:39 PM)Alabuckeye Wrote: I think the mistake is that the subject is “the things of God” and not “unbelievers”.

The NIV version does not match exactly with the other two versions.
No it doesnâ€t. Some translations are woRd for word translations and others are “phrasing” translations. 

They are saying the same thing though

No longer GroupThink 'woke'.  but it was fun while it lasted.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Another example of KJV Bible contradicting itself K9Buck 2 80 06-29-2023, 12:16 PM
Last Post: K9Buck
  Accumulating teachers that fit the Bible to your own views K9Buck 73 1,999 10-26-2022, 08:48 AM
Last Post: P1tchblack