Welcome to the zigbeenuthouse!!! Our discussion board has topics on ALL Sports and teams from college to pros, Reds, Buckeyes, Bengals, Browns, Food, US politics, religion, news, AND MORE! You MUST register with an acct. to post here. The access to read as non member is open. Please register and gain an acct. with user name to post and ENJOY this site. (June 11, 2019)

Quote of the day: A Big Bang led to star being born.

WELCOME new member AMaizawing (April 03, 2020)

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seeking feedback on flooring
I have a "Florida Room" that is 630 square feet of tile on top of a concrete floor.  Due to water damage, I am removing the tile.  By the way, the tile was there when I bought this house 12 years ago.  Anyway, my plan is to remove the tile and then paint the concrete with a checkerboard of scarlet and grey.  Removing the tiles is a pain in the ass.  The "thinset" beneath the tiles looks like an even more arduous and messy chore.  I'm actually looking into paying someone who may have a machine that specializes in removing it.  

I had the thought that, can I leave the thinset and simply paint a "base" over top of it on which to paint the aforementioned design?  Or is it a must that the thinset be removed?  

Thanks in advance.
Anti-individualistic, the Fascist conception of life stresses the importance of the State and accepts the individual only in so far as his interests coincide with those of the State...

- Benito Mussolini
If water damage is the reason you are removing it, do the job right and strip it all the way down, prep the underlayment properly and rebuild from there.

Don't half ass it, it'll cost you more in the long run
K9,
You will need to remove the thinset which most of it should come up when removing tile with scraper. I would definitely rent a industrial "sander" with 100 grit sand paper. Clean the floor with some acetone to prep the paint. I would put a primer concrete paint down before final paint.

I painted my garage floors in Minnesota before first winter hit to prevent the salt from attacking the concrete. I requested a water drain when house was built but that did not happen.
Thanks guys. I thought removing the tile was going to be a pain in the ass, and it is. I'm learning the removing the thinset is even worse. It was stupid for the previous owner to put tile on top of that floor.

Do you know if there are any companies that specialize in removing thinset? Perhaps it would be worth it to pay such a company to remove it for me? Any idea if such a company exists?

Thanks again.
Anti-individualistic, the Fascist conception of life stresses the importance of the State and accepts the individual only in so far as his interests coincide with those of the State...

- Benito Mussolini
(03-28-2022, 09:00 PM)K9Buck Wrote: Thanks guys.  I thought removing the tile was going to be a pain in the ass, and it is.  I'm learning the removing the thinset is even worse.  It was stupid for the previous owner to put tile on top of that floor. 

Do you know if there are any companies that specialize in removing thinset?  Perhaps it would be worth it to pay such a company to remove it for me?  Any idea if such a company exists? 

Thanks again.
K9,
You can rent a industrial sander/grinder locally. They are fairly cheap compared to hiring someone. You should be able to rent one from Home Depot? They are very easy to use. I imagine less than 100 dollars for a 24 hour period.
(03-28-2022, 09:15 PM)Bonebuck Wrote:
(03-28-2022, 09:00 PM)K9Buck Wrote: Thanks guys.  I thought removing the tile was going to be a pain in the ass, and it is.  I'm learning the removing the thinset is even worse.  It was stupid for the previous owner to put tile on top of that floor. 

Do you know if there are any companies that specialize in removing thinset?  Perhaps it would be worth it to pay such a company to remove it for me?  Any idea if such a company exists? 

Thanks again.
K9,
You can rent a industrial sander/grinder locally. They are fairly cheap compared to hiring someone. You should be able to rent one from Home Depot? They are very easy to use. I imagine less than 100 dollars for a 24 hour period.

Can you estimate how long it would take to do a 630 square foot floor?

- Benito Mussolini
Youâ€d have to grind thin set flat before you paint it. Think of it as removing it completely. Sand paper will not do it. The time spent depends on how long you spend before grinding. I recommend using a wide bladed long heavy shovel to get as much off as possible. You want to minimize the dust the comes with the grinding. You should be able to get most of it off without too much trouble. You may be able to get it “smooth enough” without grinding. There is a real nice flat tipped crow bar that REALLY works good if you have one. Shovels tend to dull a bit
A chisel and hammer work pretty good

But yes, finding and fixing the reason for the water damage is job one. Donâ€t fix it and donâ€t bother painting, or any thing else really.

You will lose an inch or so below your base boards, so you will need to replace those too.

There typically are other issues where the carpet or whatever will then be exposed improperly. have fun making that look good. Or just ignore it.
I never found removing the tile to be hard. A bit labor intensive but not hard. Removing glued down hardwood or linoleum… OMG
(03-28-2022, 11:54 PM)TroyKidd Wrote: Youâ€d have to grind thin set flat before you paint it.  Think of it as removing it completely.  Sand paper will not do it.  The time spent depends on how long you spend before grinding.  I recommend using a wide bladed long heavy shovel to get as much off as possible.  You want to minimize the dust the comes with the grinding.  You should be able to get most of it off without too much trouble.  You may be able to get it “smooth enough” without grinding.  There is a real nice flat tipped crow bar that REALLY works good if you have one.  Shovels tend to dull a bit
A chisel and hammer work pretty good

But yes, finding and fixing the reason for the water damage is job one.  Donâ€t fix it and donâ€t bother painting, or any thing else really.

You will lose an inch or so below your base boards, so you will need to replace those too.

There typically are other issues where the carpet or whatever will then be exposed improperly. have fun making that look good.  Or just ignore it.

It sounds like a nightmare, actually.

- Benito Mussolini
(03-28-2022, 11:54 PM)TroyKidd Wrote: But yes, finding and fixing the reason for the water damage is job one.  Donâ€t fix it and donâ€t bother painting, or any thing else really.

Yea, once I get it all torn out I hope to be able to find holes.  The thing I like about just keeping it a painted, concrete, floor is that, if a little water seeps in, it's not a huge deal.  The rest of our home, which is a manufactured home, stands several feet above the ground.  It's just the Florida Room that sits on the ground.

- Benito Mussolini
In case you're interested, check out this short video of a guy using a machine that easily removes the thinset while simultaneously vacuuming it!  I need one of these!

https://tileremoval.net/thinset-removal/

- Benito Mussolini

Thanks again.

I helped a friend remove about 1,000 sqft of tile, but we had jackhammer-type tool to remove the thinset. Took forever and made an insane mess.

Another option, depending on the available space, is to build a faux floor and do some kind of peel/stick vinyl in the colors you want.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are you a mediocre male seeking glory? K9Buck 3 311 03-20-2022, 08:05 AM
Last Post: Sanitarian2
  Seeking recommendations on audio system to replace my TV's blown speaker(s) K9Buck 10 1,855 06-14-2021, 08:01 AM
Last Post: 3rdgensooner
  Portman not seeking re-election. Georgem80 16 2,640 01-25-2021, 08:53 PM
Last Post: davebucknut
  Need some feedback/input P1tchblack 13 1,553 11-23-2020, 06:33 PM
Last Post: ChinaBuck