Welcome to the zigbeenuthouse!!! Our discussion board has topics on ALL Sports and teams from college to pros, Reds, Buckeyes, Bengals, Browns, Food, US politics, religion, news, AND MORE! You MUST register with an acct. to post here. The access to read as non member is open. Please register and gain an acct. with user name to post and ENJOY this site. (June 11, 2019)

Quote of the day: A positive outlook is what leads to positive results.

WELCOME new member AMaizawing (April 03, 2020)

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
zigbeeOhio St. OL Harry Miller to quit football immediately
Ohio State lineman Harry Miller to medically retire from football, citing mental health

Ohio State offensive lineman Harry Miller announced he is medically retiring from football Thursday, and shared that he had intentions to take his own life prior to the 2021 season.

Miller, a fourth-year player for the Buckeyes, said he had notified head coach Ryan Day of his suicidal thoughts and Day immediately put him in touch with medical professionals to seek help.

Miller had been absent from this year's spring practices and was deemed unavailable a few days ago without explanation. He shared the reasoning behind the decision to retire in a detailed statement on social media.

"I would not usually share such information. However, because I have played football, I am no longer afforded the privilege of privacy, so I will share my story briefly before more articles continue to ask, 'What is wrong with Harry Miller,'" his statement read. "That is a good question. It is a good enough question for me not to know the answer, though I have asked it often."

Quote: <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
After meeting with medical professionals, Miller said he tried going back to football while covering up the scars on his wrists and throat with tape.

"At the time, I would rather be dead than a coward. I'd rather be nothing at all, than have to explain everything that was wrong," he said. "I was planning on being reduced to my initials on a back of a helmet. I had seen people seek help before. I had seen the age-old adage of how our generation was softening by the second, but I can tell you my skin was tough."

Miller, a student in the Ohio State college of engineering with a 4.0 GPA, will continue his studies. He said in the statement that Day is also finding a way for Miller to help other players in the program who might be addressing mental health.

"I hope athletic departments around the country do the same," Miller said. "If not for [Day] and the staff, my words would not be a reflection. They would be evidence in a post-mortem."
Make America Honest Again
I read his statement. Powerful stuff. Kudos toCoach Day and OSU for being there for the kid.
"Don't, I say don't bother me dog, can't ya see I'm thinkin'?"   Foghorn Leghorn
In times when my personal mental health was at it's lowest, it was always sports that brought me relief. He didn't really get into exactly what the mental health issue was or is, perhaps he had trouble with the expectations.
(03-10-2022, 08:00 PM)Sanitarian2 Wrote: In times when my personal mental health was at it's lowest, it was always sports that brought me relief. He didn't really get into exactly what the mental health issue was or is, perhaps he had trouble with the expectations.
I remember the Michigan state game the year before(2020) when he couldnâ€t hike the ball to the qb. He got pillaged by fans for that. If you are right, then that may be part of it.

No longer GroupThink 'woke'.  but it was fun while it lasted.
I wanted to see him progress into another All-America at tOSU. However, he went from high hopes to not being listed on the depth chart with no apparent explanation. I hope the young man gets the help he needs and follows a new path of success minus football.

Some wounds can't be seen...
DC is a symptom, not the cause. The cause is basic voter stupidity and economic ignorance.
In all the years I worked with kids in poverty and crime in prison and those who hid their issues I had to learn to have patience and to always remember that people carry things around that may not be apparent.   Until someone actually insults or assaults you try and remember this.   Be kind.
Make America Honest Again
(03-10-2022, 08:00 PM)Sanitarian2 Wrote: In times when my personal mental health was at it's lowest, it was always sports that brought me relief. He didn't really get into exactly what the mental health issue was or is, perhaps he had trouble with the expectations.
He said he was suicidal and cutting his wrists. I donâ€t think much more self diagnosing was needed. There are “crazy” mental health issues and there are depression issues, Miller obviously is dealing with some form of the later.
(03-10-2022, 09:56 PM)lrrps21 Wrote: I wanted to see him progress into another All-America at tOSU. However, he went from high hopes to not being listed on the depth chart with no apparent explanation. I hope the young man gets the help he needs and follows a new path of success minus football.

Some wounds can't be seen...
Your point that some wounds cannot be seen is extremely important. I worked with an Accessibility Consultant for a few projects for Hamilton County. It was eye-opening regarding the difficulties those with "unseen wounds" deal with every day.
"Don't, I say don't bother me dog, can't ya see I'm thinkin'?"   Foghorn Leghorn
horrifyingly my daughter is currently in the hospital for slitting her wrists tonight. She's 21 and has has severe mental health problems since she was 13/14 years old.

She is stable and I'm begging the hospital to admit her to an inpatient facility for as long as possible.

This is her 3rd or 4th attempt and maybe she is doing it for attention or maybe she really wants to die, but either way she could accidentally kill herself doing this crazy *****.

Damn...

Our world grows darker by the day and I pray that God helps us. [Image: 80a75b11de06ab94b780468de04a32d4.jpg]

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Dave, I cannot begin to truly appreciate what you are going through right now with your daughter. I'm sitting here close to tears because it reminds me too much of a time my son told me about that he considered doing the unthinkable. I am so sorry to hear what you are going through and what your daughter needs. I cannot express enough that I will pray for her health and your strength. I know from many posts you are strong from the difficulties you have faced in the past, just know the Lord will give you the strength to rise again.
I will send you a DM with my phone number, if you need to talk to someone, call me. If nothing else, we can communicate in the thread, through DM's, by email or by phone.
Wow Dave Iâ€m truly sorry to hear this, Iâ€m absolutely going to be praying for you all.
Wow. This thread went from scary to scary AND personal, with Dave's news. It was always puzzling to me what happened with Miller. It never made sense. Now it does. And Dave, I am so sorry to hear this. We always want our kids to do better than us, to be more successful, and happier than we were/are. She's still very young, I will pray that she can turn this around.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Where in Ohio is this and how in Hell did this happen? K9Buck 6 62 03-21-2024, 11:49 AM
Last Post: TroyKidd
  Logan Co Ohio Tornado Blinky 5 88 03-15-2024, 10:51 PM
Last Post: Soupcity Kid
  Texas Pee Wee football games P1tchblack 12 163 02-26-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: P1tchblack
  Cam Newton football camp Hightop77 3 80 02-26-2024, 02:32 PM
Last Post: Blinky
  College Football 25 (NCAA Football 25) maize 7 117 02-22-2024, 12:58 PM
Last Post: maize
  Catastrophic train derailment in Ohio K9Buck 160 3,307 02-17-2024, 01:19 PM
Last Post: Soupcity Kid
  Survey says? Football over baseball as pastime zigbee 0 49 02-05-2024, 09:24 PM
Last Post: zigbee
  I like my Ohio U brethren ...funny guy zigbee 4 87 01-22-2024, 10:45 PM
Last Post: ChinaBuck
  New AD for Ohio State zigbee 5 111 01-15-2024, 10:41 PM
Last Post: maize
  Ohio State - Mizzou game thread zigbee 135 1,299 12-31-2023, 07:49 PM
Last Post: Blinky