zigbeenuthouse
"Unlimited" PTO - Printable Version

+- zigbeenuthouse (https://www.zigbeenuthouse.com)
+-- Forum: The Front Porch. Come on in and talk! (https://www.zigbeenuthouse.com/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: ZigbeeNutHouse List of topics for discussion (https://www.zigbeenuthouse.com/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: "Unlimited" PTO (/thread-9512.html)

Pages: 1 2

"Unlimited" PTO - Beastdog - 12-01-2021

This is literally the largest SCAM ever perpetuated on the American worker, ever. It sounds so nice and yet with it, every time you want to take a day off, you need to check with your boss. F*ck that. My wife's company just switched to this policy and she will be royally screwed. Her manager usually only takes about half of her allotted vacation, so you know how that's gonna go. I would NEVER work for a company with this policy. I'll take my current fixed 5 weeks of vacation (and I buy a 6th week), thank you very much.

RE: "Unlimited" PTO - wydileie - 12-01-2021

Unlimited PTO is awesome for people that have testicular fortitude. Studies have shown people take less vacation with unlimited PTO, because they feel they are being judged by peers, or whatever. IDGAF. I'd take a month (or more) off every year without a second thought.

RE: "Unlimited" PTO - Beastdog - 12-01-2021

If it requires your manager's approval, it's NOT unlimited. SCAM.

RE: "Unlimited" PTO - Alabuckeye - 12-01-2021

New concept to me....interesting. I could see how a company is depending on the peer pressure aspect to limit people taking time off.

I stopped caring about that years ago, so I would use it, without abusing it. I welcome this idea!

RE: "Unlimited" PTO - Blinky - 12-01-2021

I had to get my limited time off approved as well.

RE: "Unlimited" PTO - wydileie - 12-01-2021

(12-01-2021, 11:39 AM)Beastdog Wrote: If it requires your manager's approval, it's NOT unlimited. SCAM.
Everywhere requires manager approval. You can't just randomly go on vacation any time you want, even if you have weeks allotted to you. I agree having 6 weeks of allotted vacation would be superior to an unlimited PTO policy, but for most workers that is a pipe dream. Someone that normally gets two weeks off now having an unlimited PTO policy has struck gold.

One other note, I love the idea of PTO, and not a divided 'sick days' and 'vacation days'. When I was at my last employer, I got a sick day a month and they only accumulated to 30.....I worked there 18 years, meaning I got 196 total 'sick' days, of which I probably took 25. I would have loved having access to those for something other than sick days......some people abused the principle of the matter.

RE: "Unlimited" PTO - 3rdgensooner - 12-01-2021

Weird. I don't think I'd like that set up. Seems to me that the more conscientious employees will end up being taken advantage of.

(12-01-2021, 12:15 PM)3rdgensooner Wrote: Weird. I don't think I'd like that set up. Seems to me that the more conscientious employees will end up being taken advantage of.
They are being taken advantage of now.  The unprincipled always win in the short term in these situations.

"Unlimited" PTO - davebucknut - 12-01-2021

Communism USA

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

RE: "Unlimited" PTO - ScarletHayes - 12-01-2021

One of the benefits of belonging to a union (yes there are pros and cons) is I know how many weeks I get.  I don’t have to kiss anyone’s azz to take them.  These are the amount of weeks I get.  These are the amount of weeks I’m taking.  Done and done.  Only catch is I have to hand in the weeks I want for next year before the end of this year.  That kind of sucks because you never know what kind of surprises the future holds.  Usually though if something comes up and you need to change a week management is normally pretty good about it

RE: "Unlimited" PTO - Sanitarian2 - 12-01-2021

(12-01-2021, 11:33 AM)Beastdog Wrote: This is literally the largest SCAM ever perpetuated on the American worker, ever. It sounds so nice and yet with it, every time you want to take a day off, you need to check with your boss. F*ck that. My wife's company just switched to this policy and she will be royally screwed. Her manager usually only takes about half of her allotted vacation, so you know how that's gonna go. I would NEVER work for a company with this policy. I'll take my current fixed 5 weeks of vacation (and I buy a 6th week), thank you very much.
I take my four weeks and get paid for the fifth but yeah, in almost any office or factory or other workplace, employees  take advantage of paid time off, we are only human. Why wouldn't you need to get approval for paid time off if it's not an emergency or sudden illness? We have to plan ahead, have enough people to provide services, one should have at least that much work ethic. 

At least half of my staff take every second of sick leave every year too and even though I know they are lying I can't prove it and have to shut up and take it. I have 2700 hours of SL in my bank and can only cash out 980 at retirement (Get paid for half). I have people with thirty years that don't have a week of sick leave. They get headaches every Friday or Monday or are sore from an alumni softball game or from moving a kid to college, hungover. 

Far more abuse of benefits from the employee than the employer.

RE: "Unlimited" PTO - Beastdog - 12-01-2021

When I said I don't have to get approval, I meant for even getting the day off. I technically need to get approval for the days I take off, but I am allotted a certain amount of days per year and the company has to allow me to take them all.

Sani, sounds like you have a lot of union dudes working for you. Professionals don't typically act that way, not in my experience.

RE: "Unlimited" PTO - Soupcity Kid - 12-01-2021

From a managers point of view I would not care if I am the one giving the approval.  If you are not showing up to be productive from a work point of view I do not care if it is personal, sick or vacation (of course I care from a human standpoint).

Responsible workers will remain responsible and the users will continue to use regardless of the impact on peers.  Never let poor management be the excuse there though.  I always look at it this way "you are either smart enough or silly enough to sign the contract" once you do please abide by it.  If you did not do your homework, shame on you.

RE: "Unlimited" PTO - Sanitarian2 - 12-01-2021

(12-01-2021, 09:01 PM)Beastdog Wrote: When I said I don't have to get approval, I meant for even getting the day off. I technically need to get approval for the days I take off, but I am allotted a certain amount of days per year and the company has to allow me to take them all.

Sani, sounds like you have a lot of union dudes working for you. Professionals don't typically act that way, not in my experience.
Non-Union but 80% women clerical and nurses that couldn't handle hospital work.