Welcome to the zigbeenuthouse!!! Our discussion board has topics on ALL Sports and teams from college to pros, Reds, Buckeyes, Bengals, Browns, Food, US politics, religion, news, AND MORE! You MUST register with an acct. to post here. The access to read as non member is open. Please register and gain an acct. with user name to post and ENJOY this site. (June 11, 2019)

Quote of the day: A Big Bang led to star being born.

WELCOME new member AMaizawing (April 03, 2020)

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Had to do something very tough just now
My dogs dug up a rabbit nest in the backyard.  They were "playing" with one of the babies when I went outside.  Poor little thing, about the size of a small mouse, eyes not open yet.  They hadn't hurt it real bad, but bad enough.  Tucker ran back under the stairs and I heard squeaks coming from a couple more.  Tucker was holding one(these dogs have real "soft" mouths so as to not damage birds they retrieve), and it seemed ok, but the other one had been hurt. 

Wife came out and wanted to take them to a vet.  it's Sunday, babies with injuries and unopened eyes?  I told her no vet would take them as new borns, burrow was dug up, and there was no safe place to put them.  I had to kill the poor little things as they huddled together.  Either that or mauled to death or die from exposure.  I really doubt mom would have come back to them and a destroyed nest.

I can shoot a cottontail with no problem while hunting, but I sure hated having to do this.   Sad day.
DANGEROUS WHEN PROVOKED
(03-24-2019, 08:09 PM)TakeThePoints Wrote: My dogs dug up a rabbit nest in the backyard.  They were "playing" with one of the babies when I went outside.  Poor little thing, about the size of a small mouse, eyes not open yet.  They hadn't hurt it real bad, but bad enough.  Tucker ran back under the stairs and I heard squeaks coming from a couple more.  Tucker was holding one(these dogs have real "soft" mouths so as to not damage birds they retrieve), and it seemed ok, but the other one had been hurt. 

Wife came out and wanted to take them to a vet.  it's Sunday, babies with injuries and unopened eyes?  I told her no vet would take them as new borns, burrow was dug up, and there was no safe place to put them.  I had to kill the poor little things as they huddled together.  Either that or mauled to death or die from exposure.  I really doubt mom would have come back to them and a destroyed nest.

I can shoot a cottontail with no problem while hunting, but I sure hated having to do this.   Sad day.
Yeah I had to do the same thing last year under same circumstances.  You are right it sucks.
(03-24-2019, 08:09 PM)TakeThePoints Wrote: My dogs dug up a rabbit nest in the backyard.  They were "playing" with one of the babies when I went outside.  Poor little thing, about the size of a small mouse, eyes not open yet.  They hadn't hurt it real bad, but bad enough.  Tucker ran back under the stairs and I heard squeaks coming from a couple more.  Tucker was holding one(these dogs have real "soft" mouths so as to not damage birds they retrieve), and it seemed ok, but the other one had been hurt. 

Dang, that is sad.  You really had no recourse.
Make America Honest Again
Definitely not a pleasant task.  Uggghhh.
Would a wildlife rehabilitation center take such animals?
Sorry points. I couldnâ€t even imagine. Iâ€d curl up in a little ball and cry.
I had to do the same thing a few years ago, my cat got one and by the time I saw it the poor little thing was dragging its hind legs. Dang I hated that, broke my heart.
Iâ€ve had to do similar things in my life. For sure it makes you feel like crap.
(03-24-2019, 08:32 PM)K9Buck Wrote: Would a wildlife rehabilitation center take such animals?

No way.  They were injured(or at least 2 were, maybe all three)  Someone would have to stay up and hand feed them, let alone the injuries.  I mean, these little guys barely had their fur.  I thought they were mice at first they were so small.
DANGEROUS WHEN PROVOKED
I blame Trump. Your dogs wouldn't have done such a thing under Obama. Trump inspired their hate.
(03-24-2019, 08:34 PM)3rdgensooner Wrote: Sorry points. I couldnâ€t even imagine. Iâ€d curl up in a little ball and cry.

I wanted to.  I had a baby rabbit when I was very young and really liked it.  I don't recall what ever happened to it.
DANGEROUS WHEN PROVOKED
(03-24-2019, 09:06 PM)K9Buck Wrote: I blame Trump.  Your dogs wouldn't have done such a thing under Obama.  Trump inspired their hate.

lol.  These two have no hate in them.  They were probably just trying to get them to play.  One bite would have been more than enough to kill them if the dogs were at all aggressive to them.
DANGEROUS WHEN PROVOKED

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tough Guy at United Airlines desk takes on former NFL player...gets his ass kicked zigbee 14 487 05-23-2022, 10:30 PM
Last Post: Dzone1
  Tough grandma stops a their from stealing at a store davebucknut 5 390 02-01-2022, 10:37 AM
Last Post: dumbname
  UAE tough on Dope heads zigbee 13 2,501 04-12-2021, 07:11 AM
Last Post: Conanthelibrarian
  Pelosi doesn't like tough questions at all zigbee 5 1,294 01-11-2021, 09:14 AM
Last Post: dkeener67
  Jimmy Carter hanging tough at age 95 zigbee 2 260 11-12-2019, 05:08 AM
Last Post: Arby328
  Tough Man Bear Grylls can survive anything but this zigbee 11 589 08-30-2019, 09:11 PM
Last Post: ScarletHayes