Welcome to the zigbeenuthouse!!! Our discussion board has topics on ALL Sports and teams from college to pros, Reds, Buckeyes, Bengals, Browns, Food, US politics, religion, news, AND MORE! You MUST register with an acct. to post here. The access to read as non member is open. Please register and gain an acct. with user name to post and ENJOY this site. (June 11, 2019)

Quote of the day: A Big Bang led to star being born.

WELCOME new member AMaizawing (April 03, 2020)

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thoughts about national health insurance
1.  The main reason we don't have it already was the high marginal tax rates of the 1950s and 1960s.    Companies looked for ways to compensate employees other than salary, and hit on offering health insurance as a benefit.  It was not taxed as income, and the company could write it off.  If you are self employed, you can't write it off.

2.  Some form of it is inevitable IMHO.  I don't think it will be the British model, more likely Medicare, perhaps starting with a "buy in" option for folks over 55 or something and then spreading.  Medicare is very popular, duh. so once this starts the conclusion is obvious.

3.  We have somewhere around 30 million uninsured, some of whom are not US citizens.  The rest of us are covered, and paying for it one way or the other, so this $32 trillion figure is simply wrong.  I figure roughly $10,000 per person and 20 million people as the differential cost.  That's a "mere" $200 billion a year.  You'd cover that with FICA taxes, which would go up sharply of course.  I'd guess FICA will be "adjusted" for income to make it progressive.

4.  The main downside would be cutting private funding for medical advances.  No doubt the Democrats would want to fund that with more taxes as well.  Government research is IMHO not very useful or efficient.

5.  Medicaid would get consolidated into this, I would guess.  

6.  Government already pays about half of health care costs in the US, so we're half way there anyway.

7.  "They" could "fix" SS at the same time, raising FICA even more, or lifting the cap.  You folks with earned incomes, well, too bad.  You folks self employed, well, ouch.

8.  When?  Huh, I don't know of course, but let's presume some Dem becomes President in 2021.  A Democratic House would pass such a bill, but the Senate, probably still Republican, would sit on it.  So, the pressure would have to build based on how many billions of Americans die each day due to lack of insurance.  (Our life expectancy went DOWN after the PPACA was passed, incidentally.)

9.  At some point, government would be likely to get more intrusive into our diets, because they know best.  They might ban sugary drinks, or all you can eat places, or something.  Price controls would be part of it, almost certainly, a "panel" to decide how much insulin should cost, etc.  

10.  I figure it's coming, by 2030 anyway, just in time for climate change to kill us all (or Nibiru).  The 2024 election might be enough to do it.
Horrible, garbage idea. Hope it doesn't happen in my lifetime.
Any country that has a massive parasitic welfare class of deadbeats as we do, just punishes working people with programs like free health care.
"Hightop can reduce an entire message board of men to mudsharks. It's actually pretty funny to watch."

(03-21-2019, 09:17 AM)Hightop77 Wrote: Any country that has a massive parasitic welfare class of deadbeats as we do, just punishes working people with programs like free health care.

It is like this for pretty much everything.  You eat more calories than you burn, you gain weight.  You spend more money than you earn, you go bankrupt, you eat more food than you buy, grow or kill you go hungry.  If you have a country of more takers than givers than you go under.  Sadly we are getting more takers even when there are resources to allow them to become givers.
Hawaii says hello...
national health care will degrade the product and bloat the debt.
(03-21-2019, 11:44 AM)Soupcity Kid Wrote:
(03-21-2019, 09:17 AM)Hightop77 Wrote: Any country that has a massive parasitic welfare class of deadbeats as we do, just punishes working people with programs like free health care.

It is like this for pretty much everything.  You eat more calories than you burn, you gain weight.  You spend more money than you earn, you go bankrupt, you eat more food than you buy, grow or kill you go hungry.  If you have a country of more takers than givers than you go under.  Sadly we are getting more takers even when there are resources to allow them to become givers.

Sad to say that the welfare parasite class is going to get fatter and fatter because Democrats continue to come up with more ways to hand them our wealth.  Beyond free health care for them and all the other welfare handouts they already get, the pandering also includes UBI, slave reparations, and other boondoggles and then they talk about how things like that work in Sweden and Denmark.
"Hightop can reduce an entire message board of men to mudsharks. It's actually pretty funny to watch."

The govt hasn't inserted itself into the auto/home/life insurance industry... enough said.
(03-21-2019, 12:03 PM)BoyGenius Wrote: The govt hasn't inserted itself into the auto/home/life insurance industry... enough said.

Don't speak too soon.  The Leftist mayor here wants to triple the local tax on certain types of insurance premiums including home owners.  When told how much strain higher taxes would put on some people, his response was to say people should review their policies and figure out ways to reduce their premium, presumably with high deductibles and less coverage.  He even has bureaucrats available to help you.

(03-21-2019, 08:26 AM)Beastdog Wrote: Horrible, garbage idea. Hope it doesn't happen in my lifetime.

Nothing personal, but I hope it does happen in your lifetime. 

The US needs a hard reset.
DC is a symptom, not the cause. The cause is basic voter stupidity and economic ignorance.
The healthcare plan/insurance industry is pushing for a public-private partnership. The baby boom demographic hump obliterated the healthcare insurance model based on pooling risk. Obamacare was/is specifically designed to allow private insurers to 1) raise prices citing govt mandated coverage while 2) offloading high(er) risk individuals onto taxpayers.

I think Obamacare is performing the function for which it was created... destroy the existing industry/market. In my area, a person/family would be hard pressed to find a medical practice that accepts Obamacare. Our family practice being one that stopped accepted any form of govt insurance.
As someone once said, if you think your healthcare is expensive now, wait til you find out how much it cost when it is free.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Larry Hogan. Thoughts? zigbee 13 163 03-21-2024, 08:10 AM
Last Post: Alabuckeye
  "Health" P1tchblack 10 167 03-15-2024, 03:39 PM
Last Post: Syncro
  Biden nominates obese tranny for Asst Health Secretary Syncro 58 6,224 03-01-2024, 09:07 PM
Last Post: maize
  National Chili Day !!! ChinaBuck 6 82 02-22-2024, 11:28 AM
  Washington vs Michigan National Championship Game Thread Syncro 64 678 01-09-2024, 09:39 PM
  National Security Risk - Chinese Garlic ChinaBuck 0 66 12-09-2023, 12:21 AM
Last Post: ChinaBuck
  Looking for thoughts on this P1tchblack 3 107 10-25-2023, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Alabuckeye
  Critical Health Fitness Routine ChinaBuck 0 62 10-08-2023, 03:09 AM
Last Post: ChinaBuck
  Deep Thoughts by Donald Trump P1tchblack 30 451 09-28-2023, 02:19 PM
Last Post: dunefan
  Deep Thoughts by Pitch ChinaBuck 9 216 09-28-2023, 02:01 PM
Last Post: P1tchblack