Welcome to the zigbeenuthouse!!! Our discussion board has topics on ALL Sports and teams from college to pros, Reds, Buckeyes, Bengals, Browns, Food, US politics, religion, news, AND MORE! You MUST register with an acct. to post here. The access to read as non member is open. Please register and gain an acct. with user name to post and ENJOY this site. (June 11, 2019)

Quote of the day: People do not care until they learn how much you do. (April 03, 2020)

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oops....
Iowa suspends broadcaster for season after calling Marylandâ€s Bruno Fernando ‘King Kongâ€

Iowa has suspended its radio play-by-play man for the rest of the basketball seasonafter he referred to an African-born Maryland player as ‘King Kongâ€.

After Maryland defeated Iowa by one-point on a tip-in by star center Bruno Fernandoon Tuesday, Hawkeyes radio voice Gary Dolphin referred to the emerging sophomore as “King Kong.”

Quote:“Twelve 3s on 22 made baskets. Thatâ€s some pretty good long-range shooting,” Dolphin said. “And then Fernando was King Kong at the end of the game.”
[size=undefined]
Dolphin has publicly apologized for the comment.[/size]

Quote:“During the broadcast, I used a comparison when trying to describe a talented Maryland basketball player. In no way did I intend to offend or disparage the player,” Dolphin said. “I take full responsibility for my inappropriate word choice and offer a sincere apology to him and anyone else who was offended. I wish the Iowa Hawkeye players, coaches and fans all the very best as they head into the final stretch of the season. I will use this as an opportunity to grow as a person and learn more about unconscious bias.”
[size=undefined]
Fernando made the go-ahead tip-in with seven seconds less while surrounded by multiple Iowa players.[/size]

[size=undefined]More:[/size]
https://www.sbnation.com/college-basketb...g-maryland
It was a compliment.
(02-25-2019, 12:54 AM)K9Buck Wrote: It was a compliment.

Comparing a black man to a giant gorilla isn't a compliment.
(02-25-2019, 12:56 AM)P1tchblack Wrote:

It used to be.  PC world now has a book oh what you can say to a black person.
Say a White person was as strong as Paul Bunyon or a polar bear and hed still have his job.
(02-25-2019, 01:02 AM)unc4corners Wrote:

Say a White person was as strong as Paul Bunyon or a polar bear and hed still have his job.

Maybe you should familiarize yourself with the history of blacks and apes/gorillas.
(02-25-2019, 01:09 AM)P1tchblack Wrote:

Maybe you should familiarize yourself with the history of blacks and apes/gorillas.

I am familiar.  Just saying years ago it wouldn't be an issue because it wouldn't have been meant to be disparaging and this announcer didn't mean it to be.
The PC world has changed what different races can say to each other and it's not equal either.
Now, mosey on back to the other thread and answer my question you are avoiding
(02-25-2019, 01:14 AM)unc4corners Wrote:

I am familiar.  Just saying years ago it wouldn't be an issue because it wouldn't have been meant to be disparaging and this announcer didn't mean it to be.
The PC world has changed what different races can say to each other and it's not equal either.

Years ago it wouldn't have been an issue because 99% of blacks wouldn't say a word about it, but not because it wasn't offensive.
(02-25-2019, 01:16 AM)P1tchblack Wrote:
(02-25-2019, 12:56 AM)P1tchblack Wrote: Comparing a black man to a giant gorilla isn't a compliment.

Years ago it wouldn't have been an issue because 99% of blacks wouldn't say a word about it, but not because it wasn't offensive.

It was a compliment then and still was meant to be now.
The PC police has changed the world.  Everyone is afraid of offending someone.
(02-25-2019, 01:20 AM)unc4corners Wrote:
(02-25-2019, 01:16 AM)P1tchblack Wrote:
(02-25-2019, 01:02 AM)unc4corners Wrote: It used to be.  PC world now has a book oh what you can say to a black person.

It was a compliment then and still was meant to be now.
The PC police has changed the world.  Everyone is afraid of offending someone.

There are few things more "white" than thinking blacks like being compared to a gorilla.
Intent is everything.
There was no bad intent on what he said imo. It was a compliment.
PC dictionary now tells you what you can't say to each race.
(02-25-2019, 01:34 AM)unc4corners Wrote: Intent is everything.
There was no bad intent on what he said imo.  It was a compliment.
PC dictionary now tells you what you can't say to each race.

Or, common sense says, based on history, what you can say to each race.
And Pitchblack wonders why he is called a SJW.  He is a complete slave to mindless political correctness.  The comment was a total compliment for an accomplishment.  I guess he also supported the firing of the tennis commentator who said guerilla warfare.
"Hightop can reduce an entire message board of men to mudsharks. It's actually pretty funny to watch."

(02-25-2019, 08:14 AM)Hightop77 Wrote: And Pitchblack wonders why he is called a SJW.  He is a complete slave to mindless political correctness.  The comment was a total compliment for an accomplishment.  I guess he also supported the firing of the tennis commentator who said guerilla warfare.

do you think "guerilla" is a reference to a primate of some kind?

It was a compliment.  Seriously, you have to being going out of your way to look to be offended by that.  Heck, I remember Denzel Washington bragging how he was badder than King Kong in Training Day ("King Kong aint got nuthin on me...").   That flick isn't that old either.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Oops K9Buck 5 127 03-06-2023, 01:07 PM
Last Post: unc4corners
  Oops... P1tchblack 11 1,240 06-30-2020, 11:24 AM
Last Post: P1tchblack
  Road Rage... oops. BoyGenius 5 1,163 03-28-2019, 10:35 PM
Last Post: va1bucksfan1