Welcome to the zigbeenuthouse!!! Our discussion board has topics on ALL Sports and teams from college to pros, Reds, Buckeyes, Bengals, Browns, Food, US politics, religion, news, AND MORE! You MUST register with an acct. to post here. The access to read as non member is open. Please register and gain an acct. with user name to post and ENJOY this site. (June 11, 2019)

Quote of the day: A positive frame of mind goes long way to fruitful outcomes. (April 03, 2020)

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
ScarletHayesWhenever I see these commercials the first thing that...
...comes to my mind is the potential for abuse.  Well, apparently we are already starting to go down the slippery slope.  Bear in mind the original source is Buzzfeed, but still...   I don't get why anyone would do this with all we know about the unethical nature of some websites, the FBI (especially), not to mention the possibility/likelihood of data breaches. 

If ya don't want to clicky I'm referring to those DNA kits.  As far as I'm concerned I'm half German and half Italian, and that's good enough for me.  

https://www.theblaze.com/news/at-home-dna-company-fbi
Half German and half Italian?

You are in our Italian household what we could call Medigans
(02-24-2019, 10:56 AM)Soupcity Kid Wrote: Half German and half Italian?  

Never heard that one before.  

I remember my mom (my Italian side) telling me how her dad would mention something about being wary of those "hot-headed" Germans when she started dating my dad.  Let me repeat that.  My ITALIAN grandfather...   Big Grin
My general impression is the DNA kits are a racket.
(02-24-2019, 12:23 PM)cincydawg Wrote: My general impression is the DNA kits are a racket.

You mean you're not 12.375% Iranian?  

I just get the biggest chuckle out of those percentages.  I admittedly don't know their methods, but like you I am pretty cynical.
I'm sure they found some very general markers for origins and can probably tell Europe from Asia etc.

I think folks make WAY too much of the tiny percentages, as you note.
https://www.scientificamerican.com/artic...dna-tests/

"For deeper family roots, these tests do not really tell you where your ancestors came from. They say where DNA like yours can be found on Earth today. By inference, we are to assume that significant proportions of our deep family came from those places. But to say that you are 20 percent Irish, 4 percent Native American or 12 percent Scandinavian is fun, trivial and has very little scientific meaning. We all have thousands of ancestors, and our family trees become matted webs as we go back in time, which means that before long, our ancestors become everyoneâ€s ancestors. Humankind is fascinatingly closely related, and DNA will tell you little about your culture, history and identity."
(02-24-2019, 12:19 PM)ScarletHayes Wrote:
(02-24-2019, 10:56 AM)Soupcity Kid Wrote: Half German and half Italian?  

Never heard that one before.  

I remember my mom (my Italian side) telling me how her dad would mention something about being wary of those "hot-headed" Germans when she started dating my dad.  Let me repeat that.  My ITALIAN grandfather...   Big Grin

Medigans are just the word used for Americans.  I have relatives who are on the fairer side of complexions and they are called the Americans.  My family of origin and my children all look like we just got off the boat.  

We were at  a relatives graduation party and my one cousin (medigan) was talking to a puerto rican family he looked at them and looked at my family and said damn you guys are darker then the people from puerto rico

When we were kids he named me rogriguez and my older brother gomez.
(02-24-2019, 01:01 PM)cincydawg Wrote: https://www.scientificamerican.com/artic...dna-tests/

"For deeper family roots, these tests do not really tell you where your ancestors came from. They say where DNA like yours can be found on Earth today. By inference, we are to assume that significant proportions of our deep family came from those places. But to say that you are 20 percent Irish, 4 percent Native American or 12 percent Scandinavian is fun, trivial and has very little scientific meaning. We all have thousands of ancestors, and our family trees become matted webs as we go back in time, which means that before long, our ancestors become everyoneâ€s ancestors. Humankind is fascinatingly closely related, and DNA will tell you little about your culture, history and identity."

Yep. Essentially a BS scam.
My aunt on my dad's side got one of those tests, and it came back right on target-something like 96% Eastern European and 4% ME/Caucasus Mtn. region, which makes since since a 4x great grandfather or something of ours married a woman from that region on a trading trip and brought her back to Ukraine
(02-24-2019, 09:33 AM)ScarletHayes Wrote: ...comes to my mind is the potential for abuse.  Well, apparently we are already starting to go down the slippery slope.  Bear in mind the original source is Buzzfeed, but still...   I don't get why anyone would do this with all we know about the unethical nature of some websites, the FBI (especially), not to mention the possibility/likelihood of data breaches. 

If ya don't want to clicky I'm referring to those DNA kits.  As far as I'm concerned I'm half German and half Italian, and that's good enough for me.  

Scarlett between the two sides you have some sausage or brawt type of blood in you.  Do you make your own sausages?

Right now I have about 100 pounds that are drying (curing) in my fruit cellar!!!   I made dried sausage which is my favorite and some Sopressata which is just some spicy salami.

Next month once I take those down (the humid winter has made the drying process slow) and I will make Proscuitto.  I will hang it for about 9 months and have it for Christmas day.  Do you make any of that and have some good recipes??
(02-24-2019, 02:26 PM)Soupcity Kid Wrote:
(02-24-2019, 09:33 AM)ScarletHayes Wrote: ...comes to my mind is the potential for abuse.  Well, apparently we are already starting to go down the slippery slope.  Bear in mind the original source is Buzzfeed, but still...   I don't get why anyone would do this with all we know about the unethical nature of some websites, the FBI (especially), not to mention the possibility/likelihood of data breaches. 

Scarlett between the two sides you have some sausage or brawt type of blood in you.  Do you make your own sausages?

Right now I have about 100 pounds that are drying (curing) in my fruit cellar!!!   I made dried sausage which is my favorite and some Sopressata which is just some spicy salami.

Next month once I take those down (the humid winter has made the drying process slow) and I will make Proscuitto.  I will hang it for about 9 months and have it for Christmas day.  Do you make any of that and have some good recipes??

No I don't.  Never really got into that stuff.  Probably because it sounds like there's work involved.   Wink

In all seriousness I never got into making my own stuff like that.   Sounds like it's probably good.  I personally lean more toward the grayish looking "beer brats" as opposed to the spicy Italian ones.  I must be 51% German.   Tongue
(02-24-2019, 05:28 PM)ScarletHayes Wrote:
(02-24-2019, 02:26 PM)Soupcity Kid Wrote:

No I don't.  Never really got into that stuff.  Probably because it sounds like there's work involved.   Wink

In all seriousness I never got into making my own stuff like that.   Sounds like it's probably good.  I personally lean more toward the grayish looking "beer brats" as opposed to the spicy Italian ones.  I must be 51% German.   Tongue

Smile
Didn't someone say once 3Vfarmfool has a LITTLE goat in him?  Or was it the other way around?[Image: emoji48.png]
Make America Honest Again

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is there such a thing as a "safe" black community? K9Buck 3 144 10-06-2023, 08:25 PM
Last Post: lrrps21
  The hilarious thing about leftist atheists is that... K9Buck 0 57 07-21-2023, 10:12 PM
Last Post: K9Buck
  The most disturbing thing you'll read today.... P1tchblack 6 186 04-26-2023, 10:23 PM
Last Post: ChinaBuck
  This might be the dumbest thing I've seen this year K9Buck 6 190 03-16-2023, 03:12 PM
Last Post: maize
  Is Q-anon even a thing anymore? stxbuck 7 141 03-12-2023, 12:08 PM
Last Post: stxbuck
  The new rudest thing 3rdgensooner 21 404 03-05-2023, 08:14 PM
Last Post: 3rdgensooner
  Are Republicans going to do the right thing IF it's time... P1tchblack 81 2,566 02-16-2023, 11:32 AM
Last Post: maize
  Is summer school still a thing? K9Buck 7 150 02-11-2023, 06:16 PM
Last Post: Bonebuck
  The only thing in which I agree with Biden ChinaBuck 2 108 11-23-2022, 11:16 PM
Last Post: ChinaBuck
  Better commercials Bucktastic1 40 504 10-13-2022, 09:04 AM
Last Post: ScarletHayes