Welcome to the zigbeenuthouse!!! Our discussion board has topics on ALL Sports and teams from college to pros, Reds, Buckeyes, Bengals, Browns, Food, US politics, religion, news, AND MORE! You MUST register with an acct. to post here. The access to read as non member is open. Please register and gain an acct. with user name to post and ENJOY this site. (June 11, 2019)

Quote of the day: People do not care until they learn how much you do. (April 03, 2020)

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Debtors Prison
Why are Pennsylvania judges sentencing people on probation for debts they wonâ€t ever be able to pay?

A decade after he was first sentenced in Philadelphia Common Pleas Court, Maurice Hudson still could not come up with $1,941 in outstanding court costs — and, at a February hearing, it was clear Judge Genece Brinkley was out of patience.

“Each time, he has come back here with excuses,” Brinkley said of Hudson, who at 19 was convicted of a robbery and sentenced to two to four years in prison.

“Iâ€m struggling out there on the streets,” Hudson, now 29, told her. He had come home on probation, gotten married, and become a stay-at-home father of two young girls with special needs. He earned only $150 a week as a part-time janitor. “I keep hearing it every time I come in front of you, ‘Iâ€m not trying.†How is it Iâ€m not trying?”

To Brinkley, there was only one way to teach Hudson: an additional 1½-to-3-year sentence in state prison. She said it was “absolutely necessary to vindicate the authority of the court.”

Appeals courts have ruled people cannot be incarcerated for nonpayment without a determination that they are actually able to pay. Yet, in Hudsonâ€s case, said Cheryl Brooks, a Philadelphia public defender, “he was essentially jailed for his poverty.”

Hudsonâ€s case illustrates a reality for hundreds of people on probation or parole across Pennsylvania: Failure to keep up with court-ordered payments remains a common reason for judges to revoke supervision and impose more probation, more parole, or even more incarceration, keeping people under court control for years on end.

more:
https://www.inquirer.com/news/philadelph...91010.html
The legal industry is a revenue generating machine.
The America, and the American Military, that you once knew is gone.
What is the answer?
Make America Honest Again
Not really debtor's prison. Part of the punishment and the choice is pay or go to jail. This is like calling tax evasion prison sentences debtor's prison. The guy has had years to come up with less than two grand. In the meantime he's been able to have two kids though. A wise move for someone making 150 dollars a week. He's likely overpaid too. Eff the pos. In the end if you can't do the time don't do the crime. I have no sympathy for criminals. They're scum and I hope their lives remain miserable.
I can hardly see to type through the tears.
DANGEROUS WHEN PROVOKED
Let me get this straight. He would never have any court fees/cost if he never had to go to court, correct?
(10-28-2019, 09:42 AM)3rdgensooner Wrote: Not really debtor's prison. Part of the punishment and the choice is pay or go to jail. This is like calling tax evasion prison sentences debtor's prison. The guy has had years to come up with less than two grand. In the meantime he's been able to have two kids though. A wise move for someone making 150 dollars a week. He's likely overpaid too. Eff the pos. In the end if you can't do the time don't do the crime. I have no sympathy for criminals. They're scum and I hope their lives remain miserable.

Never perpetuate a mistake with a mistake.
(10-28-2019, 09:15 AM)zigbee Wrote: What is the answer?
BUMPIDTY BUMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Current unemployment rate for adult men (a stretch for this clown) is 3.2%. If he can't pay off less than 2 grand over many years he may be so useless I recommend he become a sociologist.
A decade to pay off roughly $2k. That's 52 cents per day to pay off the fine. He's an idiot, but the broad who had two kids with him is a complete pillock.
zigbee Wrote:
zigbee Wrote:What is the answer?
What is the question?
DANGEROUS WHEN PROVOKED
(10-28-2019, 10:29 AM)3rdgensooner Wrote: Current unemployment rate for adult men (a stretch for this clown) is 3.2%. If he can't pay off less than 2 grand over many years he may be so useless I recommend he become a sociologist.

And the best solution is to take away the children's father for 2 years.  Brilliant.
(10-28-2019, 10:19 AM)zigbee Wrote:
(10-28-2019, 09:15 AM)zigbee Wrote: What is the answer?

Public service?  Sit on the debt until his income reaches a certain level?
(10-28-2019, 10:50 AM)TakeThePoints Wrote:
zigbee Wrote:
zigbee Wrote:What is the answer?
What is the question?
HHHHHHHHHHHmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.... the OP suggestion that this is debtor prison!  What should they do?
Quote:And the best solution is to take away the children's father for 2 years.  Brilliant.

In NJ it's every other weekend. First the state removes the father from the child's life. Second the state slaps a child support order on the father. Third the state revokes the father's driver's license if he misses a payment. Fourth the state sends the man to the county jail. Neat, huh?

If the mother can't afford to take care of the child she should not have custody. A child is safest and better prepared in the biological father's custody. 

Note: I'm not talking the degenerate types who have kids and take off, drunkards or true abusers. Those dudes are trash.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  commit a misdemeanor, go to prison. ScarletHayes 4 82 03-22-2024, 04:23 PM
Last Post: Syncro
  Parents to prison for what kid did. TakeThePoints 9 150 03-16-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: maize
  Break law and go to prison? Get paid by NY when leaving zigbee 0 48 03-10-2024, 11:33 AM
Last Post: zigbee
  From prison, to Rogan, then back to prison…a short story Syncro 11 159 03-09-2024, 12:53 PM
Last Post: stxbuck
  They'd be facing 20 years in prison if they were members of the right K9Buck 1 56 03-08-2024, 12:43 AM
Last Post: maize
  Should they each get 4.5 years in prison too? K9Buck 0 56 09-28-2023, 10:10 PM
Last Post: K9Buck
  Cops who probably should go to prison Hightop77 20 386 09-20-2023, 07:39 PM
Last Post: Hightop77
  How did a North Dakota man only get 5 years prison for murder? K9Buck 35 627 09-11-2023, 10:25 AM
Last Post: K9Buck
  17 years in prison for non-violent protest in the Capitol K9Buck 1 90 09-02-2023, 11:20 AM
Last Post: P1tchblack
  Dude did not learn.......going back to prison for a LONG TIME. zigbee 8 235 04-10-2023, 05:55 PM
Last Post: stxbuck