Welcome to the zigbeenuthouse!!! Our discussion board has topics on ALL Sports and teams from college to pros, Reds, Buckeyes, Bengals, Browns, Food, US politics, religion, news, AND MORE! You MUST register with an acct. to post here. The access to read as non member is open. Please register and gain an acct. with user name to post and ENJOY this site. (June 11, 2019)

Quote of the day: Keep an open mind! Finding the truth means willingness to listen to many ideas. (April 03, 2020)

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will Texas do the right thing?
The Fight to Save Rodney Reed From Execution in Texas

n 1998, Rodney Reed, who is African-American, was sentenced to death by an all-white jury in Bastrop, Texas, for the rape and murder of Stacey Stites, a 19-year-old white woman. Heâ€s scheduled to be executed on Nov. 20.

Reed, now 53, maintains his innocence. The only evidence used to convict him was DNA that Reed says was present because he and Stites were having a secret affair — a claim Stitesâ€s cousin corroborates. Reedâ€s defense attorneys believe that further DNA tests of the crime scene could prove his innocence, but their requests have been denied, leading them to file a lawsuit in federal court. They also recently petitioned the U.S. Supreme Court to halt the execution, citing “new and comprehensive evidence for innocence.”

Among the new pieces of evidence Reedâ€s lawyers cite are statements from two witnesses who claim they have information that links Stitesâ€s then-fiancÃ, Jimmy Fennell, to the crime. Fennell, a former police officer in Giddings, Texas, was recently released from prison after serving 10 years for the kidnapping and assault of a woman. There were critical 
inconsistencies in Fennellâ€s accounts of where he was and what he was doing the night of the murder.
Donâ€t miss a beat

One of the new witnesses whoâ€s come forward is a life insurance salesperson who said that while Fennell was applying for a policy he threatened to kill Stites if she ever cheated on him. The other witness, a sheriffâ€s deputy in Texasâ€s Lee County, said he overheard Fennell say to Stites†body at her funeral, “You got what you deserved.” In addition, forensic experts who implicated Reed at trial have recanted, while forensic pathologists have said the prosecutionâ€s theory of Reedâ€s guilt is medically and scientifically impossible.

That Reed is still on death row despite all the evidence casting doubt on his guilt is indicative of the larger issues around the death penalty — particularly as it pertains to race.

more:

https://truthout.org/articles/the-fight-...-in-texas/
I only know what you present here.  i.e that's what I'm commenting on.  So if I were the gov of Texas, I would immediately set aside the execution date and allow the consideration of the newer evidence.  Not sure how that would work logistically.  If he could get a new trial, etc...  I mean his dna is there, so that could get a little dicey.  A prosecutor could and would twist the hell out of that to cover/justify their earlier conviction.
I dint do nuffin.
"Hightop can reduce an entire message board of men to mudsharks. It's actually pretty funny to watch."

Back in the 80/90's (Houston) an Asian broad who hated men worked in the forensic field. She lost, corrupted, and changed evidence that would convict men. She was only found out when a pipe burst and when the dudes came to repair it they found boxes of evidence in the wall. A further investigation found evidence above the ceiling panels.

How many of those dudes got a retrial?
The America, and the American Military, that you once knew is gone.
(10-24-2019, 09:56 AM)ScarletHayes Wrote: I only know what you present here.  i.e that's what I'm commenting on.  So if I were the gov of Texas, I would immediately set aside the execution date and allow the consideration of the newer evidence.  Not sure how that would work logistically.  If he could get a new trial, etc...  I mean his dna is there, so that could get a little dicey.  A prosecutor could and would twist the hell out of that to cover/justify their earlier conviction.

It seems to me like there's enough doubt to stop the execution until the situation can be addressed.  This is why the death penalty is not a good thing.  Mistakes happen.  Bias comes into play, etc....
(10-24-2019, 10:01 AM)lrrps21 Wrote: Back in the 80/90's (Houston) an Asian broad who hated men worked in the forensic field. She lost, corrupted, and changed evidence that would convict men. She was only found out when a pipe burst and when the dudes came to repair it they found boxes of evidence in the wall. A further investigation found evidence above the ceiling panels.

Whatever became of her?  Please tell me she is rotting in a jail somewhere.
(10-24-2019, 09:56 AM)ScarletHayes Wrote: I only know what you present here.  i.e that's what I'm commenting on.  So if I were the gov of Texas, I would immediately set aside the execution date and allow the consideration of the newer evidence.  Not sure how that would work logistically.  If he could get a new trial, etc...  I mean his dna is there, so that could get a little dicey.  A prosecutor could and would twist the hell out of that to cover/justify their earlier conviction.

Don't forget prosecutors do not like to reverse convictions. Their careers, both in the courtroom and politically, depend on convictions.

I remember reading about a dude who was railroaded. After all the evidence was reviewed again proving he could not commit the crime the prosecutors still refused to drop the charges. He eventually was cleared but after serving 3 years. 2 were after the evidence cleared him.

88 from the NH 1.0 insisted there was no prosecutorial misconduct, judicial activism or prosecutorial immunity in the courts. He's fool of sh!t.
(10-24-2019, 10:06 AM)ScarletHayes Wrote:
(10-24-2019, 10:01 AM)lrrps21 Wrote: Back in the 80/90's (Houston) an Asian broad who hated men worked in the forensic field. She lost, corrupted, and changed evidence that would convict men. She was only found out when a pipe burst and when the dudes came to repair it they found boxes of evidence in the wall. A further investigation found evidence above the ceiling panels.

Whatever became of her?  Please tell me she is rotting in a jail somewhere.

If I recall correctly, she was simply fired. Remember, it's a government job.
(10-24-2019, 10:01 AM)P1tchblack Wrote:

It seems to me like there's enough doubt to stop the execution until the situation can be addressed.  This is why the death penalty is not a good thing.  Mistakes happen.  Bias comes into play, etc....

I'm guessing the cousin's testimony was never heard by the jury back when he was first convicted?  Now if that info was suppressed by the prosecution...?   The justice system really needs to address discovery in regards to overly ambitious DA's.  Those people should be thrown into jail if they knowingly kept that info from the defense.  

Anyway, this death sentence definitely needs to be set aside until everything can be addressed.
"... despite all the evidence casting doubt on his guilt." Comical.
No, a stay of execution isn't warranted...
Chances are when someone is put on trial, convicted, etc of murder they are HIGHLY % wise to have committed the crime and should be put down so more don't die from the killer.   It's also true they probably killed someone else and wasn't caught so I say let the guy die.
Make America Honest Again
(10-24-2019, 10:17 AM)BoyGenius Wrote: "... despite all the evidence casting doubt on his guilt." Comical.

Exactly.  Yeah, he couldn't have killed her because they are were having an affair!   Rolleyes
"Hightop can reduce an entire message board of men to mudsharks. It's actually pretty funny to watch."

(10-24-2019, 10:17 AM)BoyGenius Wrote: "... despite all the evidence casting doubt on his guilt." Comical.

I think the playing of the race card here is pretty cheap.  That said, I don't see the harm in reviewing the DNA evidence/conducting further DNA tests and taking into account her cousin's testimony that they were indeed having an affair.  Her fiance's history isn't exactly that of a boyscout either.  If I were the gov, based on what I see here, I would stay the execution until ***** got resolved.  i.e. I don't see the harm in further DNA testing. 

I'm curious as to whether the cousin was ever heard in the original trial, and if not, why not.
They've had 23 years to prove he was not the killer and now they claim to have "new" evidence. Give me a break.
Boobs are proof that men can concentrate on 2 things at the same time
(10-24-2019, 10:27 AM)ScarletHayes Wrote:

I think the playing of the race card here is pretty cheap.  That said, I don't see the harm in reviewing the DNA evidence/conducting further DNA tests and taking into account her cousin's testimony that they were indeed having an affair.  Her fiance's history isn't exactly that of a boyscout either.  If I were the gov, based on what I see here, I would stay the execution until ***** got resolved.  i.e. I don't see the harm in further DNA testing. 

I'm curious as to whether the cousin was ever heard in the original trial, and if not, why not.

All white jury.... in Texas.... where a black guy is having an affair with a white girl who's engaged to a white guy.  I think one could say there's reason to believe race may have played a roll.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Vince Young, former Texas QB goes DOWN with sucker punch in bar zigbee 0 40 03-26-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: zigbee
  This is why Texas will be first to split from the confederation zigbee 1 43 03-20-2024, 08:43 PM
Last Post: maize
  Texas Pee Wee football games P1tchblack 12 193 02-26-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: P1tchblack
  Soros-Funded Group Seeks to ‘Turn Texas Blue’ with Mass Immigration Hightop77 8 165 02-01-2024, 01:35 PM
Last Post: maize
  Texas secession? K9Buck 65 785 01-26-2024, 12:12 PM
Last Post: zigbee
  Texas Judge's ruling on abortion P1tchblack 13 253 12-12-2023, 04:06 PM
Last Post: Sanitarian2
  Is there such a thing as a "safe" black community? K9Buck 3 144 10-06-2023, 08:25 PM
Last Post: lrrps21
  D-Bag cop in Texas P1tchblack 11 216 09-12-2023, 08:12 PM
Last Post: unc4corners
  Texas HS with better sports facilities than some D1 schools ChinaBuck 3 110 08-16-2023, 08:40 PM
Last Post: ChinaBuck
  The hilarious thing about leftist atheists is that... K9Buck 0 57 07-21-2023, 10:12 PM
Last Post: K9Buck