Welcome to the zigbeenuthouse!!! Our discussion board has topics on ALL Sports and teams from college to pros, Reds, Buckeyes, Bengals, Browns, Food, US politics, religion, news, AND MORE! You MUST register with an acct. to post here. The access to read as non member is open. Please register and gain an acct. with user name to post and ENJOY this site. (June 11, 2019)

Quote of the day: People do not care until they learn how much you do. (April 03, 2020)

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Small Colleges/Universities Are Dying
It's a slow death.
https://www.theatlantic.com/education/ar...wn/591862/
There are many small colleges that shouldn't be operating... when you consider the cost(s) and employment opportunities for graduates.
On a positive note... there will be some nice real estate available.
When costs actually come back down to people's ability to pay maybe we'll see a reset of some sort.  We definitely won't be seeing anymore Sociology profs living in exclusive neighborhoods though.
This is likely a natural economic function. Costs have overrun benefit and there is contraction in the market.
(06-21-2019, 08:58 AM)ScarletHayes Wrote: When costs actually come back down to people's ability to pay maybe we'll see a reset of some sort. 
I don't see that happening.
Community colleges seem to be doing well.
(06-21-2019, 10:10 AM)unc4corners Wrote: Community colleges seem to be doing well.

Community colleges are little more than babysitters of young adults who have no desire to be in school, but hey, they receive money and a meal card... so why not try it out for a year.
The CCs offer an option for folks who may have skipped over college and found they needed a degree now to prosper, so they cater to older folks in their 20s at time who are there because they need it to get promoted at work. Some folks out of the military use this option as well. And there are a few old geezers like me who want to go for whatever reason, maybe to learn a language.
And of course we're amidst a long term population shift from north to south and west, so we'd expect this for no other reason in the NE. I just saw a news item that Emory U. just bought a large parcel of land near me for expansion. Their main campus is in Decatur about 5 miles east of me and they are expanding there as well.

The metro area is adding nearly 80,000 new people a year so some of them want to go to some local college. The metro area is more populous than Boston and gaining on Philadelphia.
CCs are LITTLE MORE than babysitters...
Community Colleges are diploma mills. Most of the students attending the local CC are not meant to be in college. The schools get boatloads of money from Uncle Sucker so they allow anybody off the streets to attend. An 'open door' policy allows anybody to get accepted. The first thing the school does is hand out financial aid material.

The school dupes young people into getting Applied Degrees instead of Associate of Science Degrees. The coursework does not transfer to 4 year schools. Many of the students simply quit once they realized they wasted 2-4 years getting a worthless degree. Waste of taxpayer dollars.

When we tutored we made sure to explain the need to take courses that transfer and to get an AS type degree.

I pointed a couple kids toward the Technical School across the street. They have decent jobs because of it.
The America, and the American Military, that you once knew is gone.
(06-21-2019, 01:01 PM)lrrps21 Wrote: Community Colleges are diploma mills. Most of the students attending the local CC are not meant to be in college. The schools get boatloads of money from Uncle Sucker so they allow anybody off the streets to attend. An 'open door' policy allows anybody to get accepted. The first thing the school does is hand out financial aid material.

The school dupes young people into getting Applied Degrees instead of Associate of Science Degrees. The coursework does not transfer to 4 year schools. Many of the students simply quit once they realized they wasted 2-4 years getting a worthless degree. Waste of taxpayer dollars.

When we tutored we made sure to explain the need to take courses that transfer and to get an AS type degree.

I pointed a couple kids toward the Technical School across the street. They have decent jobs because of it.

Spot on. I'd only add that CCs usually receive local funding too...
(06-21-2019, 01:01 PM)lrrps21 Wrote: Community Colleges are diploma mills. Most of the students attending the local CC are not meant to be in college. The schools get boatloads of money from Uncle Sucker so they allow anybody off the streets to attend. An 'open door' policy allows anybody to get accepted. The first thing the school does is hand out financial aid material.

Are colleges diploma mills for it's athletes in it's major sports?
Universities usually just want to keep athletes eligible, graduation is often not a priority.
(06-21-2019, 02:32 PM)cincydawg Wrote: Universities usually just want to keep athletes eligible, graduation is often not a priority.
It is to a degree as every D1 school is charted on their graduation rates and issued a score . If you fall below the standards set for the dictated time your sport can be shut down or penalized.
It happened this year to a few lower level D1 programs.
Ohio State's Basketball program was teetering on dropping below the set standards because of all the transfers they suffered with the 2015-16 recruiting class . ( off the top of my head on the year. )

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Best small forward of all time? TakeThePoints 240 2,994 03-14-2024, 09:19 PM
Last Post: Smoothmflikethat
  Colleges now plan to just send acceptance letters to "poor people" davebucknut 2 114 11-05-2023, 09:40 AM
Last Post: Hightop77
  Humans face a 1 in 6 chance in dying out by 2100 ChinaBuck 8 147 10-10-2023, 05:18 PM
Last Post: 3rdgensooner
  Affirmative Action at Universities Gone! Beastdog 65 1,033 07-12-2023, 02:43 PM
Last Post: 3rdgensooner
  Yea but this is just a SMALL price to pay for diversity! K9Buck 2 84 05-11-2023, 12:33 PM
Last Post: ScarletHayes
  He always makes me look small zigbee 12 229 11-08-2022, 05:29 PM
Last Post: lrrps21
  He was DYING to stay dirty zigbee 3 120 10-25-2022, 06:42 PM
Last Post: unc4corners
Star MLB: Big Markets vs. Small Markets (zigbee vs. davebucknut) Beastdog 181 3,950 10-19-2022, 05:50 PM
Last Post: TcSoup
  Race based admission to colleges now heard by Supreme Court zigbee 2 120 08-11-2022, 12:52 PM
Last Post: stxbuck
  Charlie Kirk says universities are cesspools and a waste of time and money K9Buck 12 387 05-25-2022, 07:07 PM
Last Post: maize