Welcome to the zigbeenuthouse!!! Our discussion board has topics on ALL Sports and teams from college to pros, Reds, Buckeyes, Bengals, Browns, Food, US politics, religion, news, AND MORE! You MUST register with an acct. to post here. The access to read as non member is open. Please register and gain an acct. with user name to post and ENJOY this site. (June 11, 2019)

Quote of the day: A Big Bang led to star being born.

WELCOME new member AMaizawing (April 03, 2020)

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ScarletHayesInteresting factoid I caught on the Atlantic slave trade yesterday...
On my drive to work I had Beck on for a few minutes.  He was promoting this cruise on history through, I believe, the Mediterranean.  Anyway, they started yammering on slavery and the Atlantic slave trade.  Do you guys know what percent of the slave trade the US was involved with?  4%.  FOUR percent.  Brazil?  Fiddy percent.  FIFTY.  And we're the bad guys on the international stage.   Confused

I guess my motivation for bringing this up is to start looking into the groups always trashing the US.  Where they get their funding etc...  As it becomes more and more apparent to me that these blemishes on our nation's past are now just openings for enemies to exploit and further divide this nation.
You should look up who was the first slave owner in the USA.
That's because the spanish had the encomiendas-haciendas for sugar production for Europe and other ports.  The use of natives didn't work in the brutal plantation production either.  The Triangular trade involved slaves, sugar, rum and finished goods between Africa, N America, and the Europeans.   The use of cotton had not yet grown to being KING cotton till the cotton gin revolutionized the industry in late 1700s-early 1800s.  By then the slave trade was outlawed per se and a large domestic slave population in US existed for cotton.
Make America Honest Again
(06-06-2019, 09:12 AM)ScarletHayes Wrote: On my drive to work I had Beck on for a few minutes.  He was promoting this cruise on history through, I believe, the Mediterranean.  Anyway, they started yammering on slavery and the Atlantic slave trade.  Do you guys know what percent of the slave trade the US was involved with?  4%.  FOUR percent.  Brazil?  Fiddy percent.  FIFTY.  And we're the bad guys on the international stage.   Confused

I guess my motivation for bringing this up is to start looking into the groups always trashing the US.  Where they get their funding etc...  As it becomes more and more apparent to me that these blemishes on our nation's past are now just openings for enemies to exploit and further divide this nation.

I was called racist because I mentioned facts about who owned slaves in the US. I also was called racist for mentioning who freed slaves in the US. I was really hated for telling those in the classroom I freed more people of color than anybody in the entire school combined.
DC is a symptom, not the cause. The cause is basic voter stupidity and economic ignorance.
(06-06-2019, 10:12 AM)lrrps21 Wrote:
(06-06-2019, 09:12 AM)ScarletHayes Wrote: On my drive to work I had Beck on for a few minutes.  He was promoting this cruise on history through, I believe, the Mediterranean.  Anyway, they started yammering on slavery and the Atlantic slave trade.  Do you guys know what percent of the slave trade the US was involved with?  4%.  FOUR percent.  Brazil?  Fiddy percent.  FIFTY.  And we're the bad guys on the international stage.   Confused

I was called racist because I mentioned facts about who owned slaves in the US. I also was called racist for mentioning who freed slaves in the US. I was really hated for telling those in the classroom I freed more people of color than anybody in the entire school combined.
Remember, you are a Nazi too. Never forget that.
Quote:Hard times make hard men.
Hard men make easy times. 
Easy times make soft men. 
Soft men make hard times.
Fewer than 350,000 enslaved people were imported into the Thirteen Colonies and the U.S., constituting less than 5% of the twelve million enslaved people brought from Africa to the Americas. The great majority of enslaved Africans were transported to sugar colonies in the Caribbean and to Brazil.

That's from wiki. Most of the US slaves were descendents of the first once.

There were about 4 million slaves in the US in 1860, some of course in states that did not secede, and who were not freed by the Emancipation.

Thus, over 90% of US slaves were "home grown".
(06-06-2019, 10:18 AM)dkeener67 Wrote:
(06-06-2019, 10:12 AM)lrrps21 Wrote:

Remember, you are a Nazi too. Never forget that.

Sieg Heil... Big Grin
DC is a symptom, not the cause. The cause is basic voter stupidity and economic ignorance.
The US wasn't heavily involved in the slave trade. But we were heavily involved in owning and exploiting slaves. I don't see this as some mitigating factor. Brazil was worse. So?
The 'truth' is obscured and not known, nor cared about.

We, as a country, committed evil deeds in the slave business. We are still reaping the consequences of that.....150 years later.
I wonder if those sharks are still patrolling that route?
DANGEROUS WHEN PROVOKED
Wear any type of diamond from Africa? A slave dug it up. Wear Nike shoes? A slave sewed them. Use an iPhone? Slave labor assembled it.

Yeah, people are so 'concerned' about slavery.
(06-06-2019, 11:18 AM)TakeThePoints Wrote: I wonder if those sharks are still patrolling that route?

Yes, the ecosystem changed so sharks would follow slave ships. The sharks consumed the slaves thrown overboard.  Rolleyes

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cop taken to jail in own police cruiser after caught shoplifting while in uniform K9Buck 19 284 02-23-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: ChinaBuck
  United States grew yesterday ChinaBuck 1 61 12-22-2023, 09:48 AM
Last Post: stxbuck
  TSA agents caught on camera stealing from passengers K9Buck 0 57 09-13-2023, 04:59 PM
Last Post: K9Buck
  Got jabbed twice yesterday TakeThePoints 7 102 08-30-2023, 06:04 PM
Last Post: dunefan
  Interesting video on China's (sinking?) artificial islands K9Buck 5 112 07-18-2023, 12:59 PM
Last Post: stxbuck
  One must be certified insane to be a writer at The Atlantic K9Buck 6 165 07-03-2023, 05:40 PM
Last Post: ChinaBuck
  My ex passed away yesterday TakeThePoints 10 176 06-30-2023, 10:20 PM
Last Post: Soupcity Kid
  The Titanic and interesting facts zigbee 12 169 04-17-2023, 02:17 PM
Last Post: Syncro
  Interesting case. 3rdgensooner 5 135 03-13-2023, 09:53 PM
Last Post: dkeener67
  I visited a popular local church yesterday - and walked out K9Buck 29 480 02-28-2023, 04:38 PM
Last Post: wydileie