zigbeenuthouse
US national debt is now 110 percent of GDP — largest debt-to-GDP ratio since WWII - Printable Version

+- zigbeenuthouse (https://www.zigbeenuthouse.com)
+-- Forum: The Front Porch. Come on in and talk! (https://www.zigbeenuthouse.com/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: ZigbeeNutHouse List of topics for discussion (https://www.zigbeenuthouse.com/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: US national debt is now 110 percent of GDP — largest debt-to-GDP ratio since WWII (/thread-2642.html)

Pages: 1 2

US national debt is now 110 percent of GDP — largest debt-to-GDP ratio since WWII - K9Buck - 09-05-2019

At what point does this pose a threat?

https://www.theblaze.com/news/us-national-debt-is-now-110-percent-of-gdp

RE: US national debt is now 110 percent of GDP — largest debt-to-GDP ratio since WWII - P1tchblack - 09-05-2019

MAGA!

Keep voting for them 'Publicans'

RE: US national debt is now 110 percent of GDP — largest debt-to-GDP ratio since WWII - cincydawg - 09-05-2019

It's a threat today, in part because NO ONE is talking about it, not a single candidate.

And there is no fix, none, that is viable.

This is our most serious national problem in my view.  It's so huge a threat no politician can mention it.

RE: US national debt is now 110 percent of GDP — largest debt-to-GDP ratio since WWII - jmesser1982 - 09-05-2019

Sh*t gonna hit the fan one day. Soon.

RE: US national debt is now 110 percent of GDP — largest debt-to-GDP ratio since WWII - Hightop77 - 09-05-2019

(09-05-2019, 01:13 PM)P1tchblack Wrote: MAGA!

Two thirds of federal spending is programs created by Democrats that cannot be touched in the budget.

RE: US national debt is now 110 percent of GDP — largest debt-to-GDP ratio since WWII - ScarletHayes - 09-05-2019

And you wonder why interest rates will be kept artificially low for as long as possible?  They start rising and it’s game the #### over.  

Govt bringing in more revenue than ever and it’s still running obscene deficits.  And the Dems don’t think we’re spending enough?!?!?!?! 

Trump wins and he MUST deal with this.  This is a topic only a lame duck could address

RE: US national debt is now 110 percent of GDP — largest debt-to-GDP ratio since WWII - cincydawg - 09-05-2019

The interest rate markets are at least in part in the free market.  People are not forced to buy corporate bonds for example, or CDs.  Those interest rates are market controlled, mostly anyway, and are very low today.

If they offered higher interest rates than Treasuries (by a lot), you'd have a better argument.  They don't.

RE: US national debt is now 110 percent of GDP — largest debt-to-GDP ratio since WWII - Alabuckeye - 09-05-2019

Debt service(interest on debt) is over 1/2 a trillion dollars a year.

RE: US national debt is now 110 percent of GDP — largest debt-to-GDP ratio since WWII - ScarletHayes - 09-05-2019

(09-05-2019, 03:07 PM)Alabuckeye Wrote: Debt service(interest on debt) is over 1/2 a trillion dollars a year.

This is what I was mostly addressing

The Congressional Budget Office (CBO) projects that interest payments will continue to grow rapidly, rising from $389 billion in fiscal year 2019 (the current fiscal year) to $914 billion in 2028. Overall, net interest costs will total nearly $7 trillion over the next decade.

RE: US national debt is now 110 percent of GDP — largest debt-to-GDP ratio since WWII - Alabuckeye - 09-05-2019

I thought I'd seen the $525b number recently.

RE: US national debt is now 110 percent of GDP — largest debt-to-GDP ratio since WWII - P1tchblack - 09-05-2019

(09-05-2019, 01:20 PM)Hightop77 Wrote:
(09-05-2019, 01:13 PM)P1tchblack Wrote: MAGA!

Two thirds of federal spending is programs created by Democrats that cannot be touched in the budget.

Well, I'm sure that recent Republican presidents/congressman have cut spending where they can to slow the bleeding, right????

This topic would be a hot button issue if we had a media made up of adults that would hold politicians feet to the fire, but we don’t and they won’t.  Let’s spend more money on important things like “climate change.”  Lmao.  We’ll get what we deserve.

RE: US national debt is now 110 percent of GDP — largest debt-to-GDP ratio since WWII - K9Buck - 09-05-2019

Pitch, I think the topic of cutting government spending is a non-starter for every Democrat and many Republicans.

(09-05-2019, 03:34 PM)K9Buck Wrote: Pitch, I think the topic of cutting government spending is a non-starter for every Democrat and many Republicans.

Republicans don't need the approval of Democrats if they have the votes... and the balls to actually cut spending.